1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dieseltroop, Sep 24, 2006.

1. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Hello everyone.

I am looking at purchasing the blizzard 860SW w/in a month or two. I like to make sure I know all the facts/in's & out's of things before I buy. Specifically I am looking for the following ?'s to be answered by those of you who have a 2001 Ram 2500 w/ the 5.9L Diesel w/ hopefully the quad cab, long box configuration. They are:

1. How has the truck handled the plow?
    2. What kind of repair issues have come up w/ the plow on the front end? (if you could, give me a ballpark range of pricing for those fixes that took place if applicable.)
    3. Have timbrens been needed?
    4. If you have a clutch; but those w/ auto's please reply, have you used 4 low primarily so as to not burn out a clutch, or have you used 4 high?
    5. Any accelerated clutch wear?

The reasons to these ?'s is that I have been looking @ blizzard for quite some time. The hang up for me has always been the weight of the plow. Blizzard tells you the weight of the plow, but not including the undercarriage. Come to find out the undercarriage I think is about 130 Ibs. So total, the plow is over 900 lbs. I've weighed my truck a couple of times, and I think that I would only be about 60-80 lbs. over the FGAWR, but w/ ballast that should relieve some of the weight on the front end. Anyways. Thanks in advance for the replies.

[If your curious about what the application for the plow would be for. I would be doing residential areas (townhome complexes), w/ comm. properties. I would also be sub-contracting. I guess if I see to many bad answers, I might have to resort to the 860 straight blade.]