1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

860SW Wear & Tear

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dieseltroop, Oct 5, 2006.

1. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Hello everyone.
    (Well I posted this in the Dodge section, and left it there for a couple of weeks w/ no replies, but thought maybe I would get some replies here. Hopefully I do.)

I am looking at purchasing the blizzard 860SW w/in a month or two. I like to make sure I know all the facts/in's & out's of things before I buy. Specifically I am looking for the following ?'s to be answered by those of you who have a 2001 Ram 2500 w/ the 5.9L Diesel w/ hopefully the quad cab, long box configuration. They are:

1. How has the truck handled the plow?
    2. What kind of repair issues have come up w/ the plow on the front end? (if you could, give me a ballpark range of pricing for those fixes that took place if applicable.)
    3. Have timbrens been needed?
    4. If you have a clutch; but those w/ auto's please reply, have you used 4 low primarily so as to not burn out a clutch, or have you used 4 high?
    5. Any accelerated clutch wear?

The reasons to these ?'s is that I have been looking @ blizzard for quite some time. The hang up for me has always been the weight of the plow. Blizzard tells you the weight of the plow, but not including the undercarriage. Come to find out the undercarriage I think is about 130 Ibs. So total, the plow is over 900 lbs. I've weighed my truck a couple of times, and I think that I would only be about 60-80 lbs. over the FGAWR, but w/ ballast that should relieve some of the weight on the front end. Anyways. Thanks in advance for the replies.

[If your curious about what the application for the plow would be for. I would be doing residential areas (town home complexes), w/ comm. properties. I would also be sub-contracting. I guess if I see to many bad answers, I might have to resort to the 860 straight blade.]

2. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Put a set of timbrens on, and you should be fine. There are some guys that change out the front coils on the Dodges, but I am not sure of the part number. That truck will handle the plow just fine. I have run both Ford and currenlty have a GMC with a Blizzard, and I would never buy a straight blade again. I have had Western plows in the past, and I loved them, but they are not as near as productive as the Blizzard. That truck that you are running will handle the 810 plow just fine also.

John

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2000 Dodge, 3500 QuadCab Dually with the Cummins. I run an 9' trip edge Arctic with sides. This plow with the sides weights more then the 860SW. I have Timbrens in the front. I have replaced the main track bar twice, upper and lower ball joints front universals and the universals on the drive shaft. I grease the truck every 6-7 weeks but there are parts without grease nipples. I have also replaced both front wheel bearings. I have never used 4 low and will never use it. I have an automatic. I have 2 friends with 860SW's. One is on a 2003 Z71 and the other on a 2005, 1500 Avalanche. They both had to modify the mounts to get this set up to work. These plows will move a serious amount of snow. Another combination I would look at would be a Western Pro Plus with the Pro Plus wings. I am not sure if it would be lighter because there is no weight listed for the wings.

This truck is a tank but the front end is a little weak. I have 130,000 miles on it and around 600 hours of plowing. We don't get many major snow storms but I have pushed at least 4 heavy wet snowfalls. I am easy on the truck and don't hit islands and I don't pile snow, that is what loaders are for. I don't get a kick out of seeing how high I can make the pile, get it to the end and back up.payup

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  4. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Well I thank you both for replying and providing the information that you did.