1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

860SW lost 1 qt???

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ommegang, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I have an 07 SW. The first year on heavy/wet snow, it blew an o-ring and fluid was spraying out. Now, after many hours of plowing heavy/wet snow again this year, I noticed the next day that I lost one qt of fluid. I assumed that it was the same issue. But, after playing with the plow, I can't see any fluid leaking. Would it not be obvious to find? It could not have corrected itself??

Am I plowing wrong to cause this condition? Often when plowing in angled position, I bring it back to straight and then up to pile high. Perhaps I shouldn't be woking the hydraulics by bringing the plow back sraight with a load of heavy snow in it?

Any advise appreciated.

Lance

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not real sure where your fluid could be going. I would think that you would be able to see a leak if you were loosing that much fluid. As far as the way your plowing I see nothing wrong with what your doing. I always move the blade around with a load of snow. I have done this with every plow I have owned.

Good luck , shaun

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Fluid may be leaking from a fitting on the underside of the plow only when under presure. As when the plow is lifted. Or the seals on the lift cylinder.

4. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

Leaking from one bolt on the back of the motor. Is that just a gasket?

5. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

pump shaft seal is it still under warranty??

6. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

One year warranty. It's a slow leak. It appears as though it will last through the season. Maybe repair it when I change the fluid. Is that how you access the seals?

Thanks,

Lance

7. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

I would fix it before it ruins the motor remove motor and tank to get to the pump take motor off first and see if it is the seal first

8. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

it may damage the motor if I let it persist?

9. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I actually got through to a helpfull tech rep from blizzard 888-680-8600. He said it should be addressed also. Said I should take it in because it could be a bearing/bushing but, it looks like the seal kit comes with that part. I will order the kit, $22.00 and hope that that's the right fix. otherwise, it's the whole pump assembly.

Thanks,

Lance

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I replaced the seal kit. I couldn't tell which way the bushing/bearing was supposed to go though. The old one was not intact. And the o-ring was on the secondary gear shaft and misaligned. The motor was filled with fluid. It sounds louder now. I am crossing my fingers. It wasn't exactly clear-cut. Between not knowing which way the bushing went, the o-ring in the wrong spot, I believe, and the the rubber part of the bushing missing from the old part. There was a slightly mangled rubber seal furthur inside the manifold that I took out because I though it was from the old bushing. Not sure if I should have left it there. That area is not continually exposed to fluid anyway, is it? Doesn't the fluid come in at the port where I put the o-ring at? The guy at the dealer seemed to just get this seal kit in. He seemed like he normally just replaced the whole pump assembly. Kind of ******-up that an o-ring blows in the second season and a seal kit goes in the third. Must be an assembly issue.

I only have one filter, the manual shows two. And, my pump assembly is turned 90 deg compared to the manual.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010