1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8600sw has wing stuck straight

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by unclebob, Dec 20, 2012.

1. unclebob

unclebob Junior Member
    from Kansas

Long time Meyer owner, first time Blizzard owner. I bought a Blizzard 8600sw last October (2011) and we did not have enough snow to push all winter. Finally this year we had snow coming, but hardly got enough to push, but with the wind had smaller drift around south and east sides of buildings. So this morning I made 3 pushes (200', 200' and 50') with it in scoop mode to take care of some small 2' high drifts. When I finished I noticed that the drivers side wing was in the straigh position (locking pins have been out since I drove it home in 2011).

I have called the out of town dealer, and they were of no help, just wanted me to make a road trip. The wing and the blade have clearance and nothing is stuck in between. The wing spring is fine, cable is loose and no debris/objects are blocking the pivot points. It won't budge just like it was welded in place.

When on the phone with the dealer, I actually heard someone in the background say I should have been plowing with the locking pins installed to keep it a straight blade. If that is true, then why would one buy a speedwing?

All help appreciated.
    Has anyone had this problem, and how did you fix it?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Check the pins that attach the cables in the middle. If they are too long, installed upside down or have a wayward cotter pin they will bind the mechanism.

3. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Had a brand new one do the same thing. The roll pin that holds the wing pin was jammed up in the powdercoat. Took a Hilo, bumped it from behind, and it sprung back into place. Just make sure nobody is near the plow because it springs back pretty hard.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Did you figure it out...?:confused:

5. unclebob

unclebob Junior Member
    from Kansas

I have not had time to look at it yet. We hope to do that tomorrow (Saturday).

6. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Take the wing out and see what's causing the problem.

7. unclebob

unclebob Junior Member
    from Kansas

Sharpcut -

Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what seemed to be wrong. I got our SK350 Ditch Witch mini skid and used the mounting plate with a canvas tarp folded over 8 thick for protection. I just barely pushed on the wing and the sucker popped free. A little powdercoat is off where it must have been hung up.

Thanks for the quick reply! Have a Merry Christmas!

Mike