1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8600gvwr differences OBS vs Newer gen

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TMLGC, Dec 12, 2013.

1. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Besides the engine and tranny (6.0 vs 5.7) differences and obvious styling differences is there much if anything different about the frame, running gear drive train ect. Comparing the 2500s made from approx 1996-1999 (some 2000) to the 2500 (not HD) made from 2000-2003.

Is one more reliable and prone to rust than the other. Many seem to prefer the OBS is that because they are easier and cheaper to work on.?
  2. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

the gmt800 series newer body style or nbs as commonly called on the truck forums that were 2500 (non hd) were only made in 99 and 00.they are a little less powerful than the 01 + 2500 hds because they use iron heads vs aluminum heads. not positive if any of the nbs trucks (2500's) came with full floating rears either as all that ive seen are semi-floater until the hd series. in all honesty the frames look to be about the same. ive never owned either but from my expierence working on them and parting them I really dont think there is much of a difference other than the gmt400's are easier to find parts for and cheaper to work on like you said.if i got a good deal on a 99/00 2500 gmt800 i would look seriously into it because I love the extra power of the 6.0 but otherwise theres nothing wrong with a 96-00 gmt400 truck.
  3. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Thanks, do the iron vs alumin heads in the 6.0 make one more reliable or durable than the other. The reason I ask is I have a 2000 2500 w the 6.0 that's got 130k and Im trying to decide to outfit it with a plow and keep it for another 4-5 years or sell/trade from something newer 05-06ish with less miles but with the price of trucks Im thinking this would be crazy as I own my truck with no payments and it currently is mechanically fine,,,,just nervous about relying on a 13 year old plow truck with 130+ miles as a primary vehicle,,,,but they seem to build these newer generation ones to last.
  4. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

anytime you can avoid a loan, do it. the 99-00 silverado's with 6.0's were plenty reliable and will handle a plow fine just like other 3/4ton's. do the normal maintenance and don't crash into snow piles. rust is quite common on brake/trans lines. I think the iron heads are a little more forgiving, but they are prone to snapping the exhaust bolts off on the 6.0, so if they haven't broken yet you are lucky. the 4l80e is a good trans, (couple of upgrades make it bullet-proof, but you have to pull it to do them). my brother has the newer 2500hd and i can honestly say there isn't much difference besides a bit more power on the newer 6.0.

overall the 2500 with a 6.0 is a good truck with plenty of plowing power. it just stinks because they get confused with the older 5.7 cousins all the time.
  5. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Thx, I got it 2 years ago from a dealer before they put it up for sale they did all new brake lines , new oil cooler lines, new steering box and window motor. So far I've done coolant flush and fuel filter. Other than that I don't know service history. I'm going to do trans filter and new belts next oil change the ac belt and tensioner needs replacing.