1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8600 SW. Do I need wings to retract?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Lasher66, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

HI,
    I have always run speedwing plows and last year I got sick of replacing the 200 dollar cables when they break. Anyways I am probably answering my own question but I decided not to replace cables and just leave the wings in the forward position. I plowed quite a few times and realized snow still ran off fine even with wings forward when plow was fully angled. So is there any other reason to replace cables?

Jason

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Other than losing some width at angle no. But you might start to bend stuff like that.
    Not sure about the s.w. But if you hit something with the wing, does it trip?

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have been running a s.w. since 06 and never have had a cable issue. We have had 2 of the 8600 s.w. since 2011 and again no issues. Are you keeping them lubed and tensioned to specs ? I don't think you have anything to worry about running in the scoop position other than the plow being a little less efficient wind rowing. I would be kind of like a hineker scoop plow. If you hit something the spring should soak it up just fine. I have had piviot pin issues on my 8600 but no cables. We have one cable on the shelf just incase though. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do with out cables is lock into the 10' straight blade. I used to do this all the time when plowing condos. I had to back drag all the drives and hated how my 810 would fold the wings forward with any heavy snow load. With the wings locked the s.w. Worked great every time. We dont do condos anymore but I still love that the s.w. is a simple mechanical design. It's much easier to trouble shoot a broken cable than chasing wires and checking coils and valves when a wing stops working ! ,JMO

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  4. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

Oh man, I asked a similar question a couple years ago and got blasted! About buying one of the most efficient plows on the market...blah blah blah! But these cables are a problem, and it doesn't take replacing very many of them before you start looking for a different option...I will tell you I ended up fixing it... But in the mean time I did run a cable thru with a clamp in case the spring come out it didn't fly out... And I plowed several storms with it this way and it worked fine..

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We'll go easy on you this time! :drinkup:

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

You might get some accelerated wing edge wear, but easily fixed with some double-ups on the wings as needed.

7. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  8. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

Do you notice much loss in efficiency without the wings going back to a straight... I am thinking about a V, but I really prefer less moving parts, cheaper cutting edges, etc...

9. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

There is definitely a difference in the two plows as far as efficiency. I loved the plow when it worked but it cost 2 much to operated for me. I see that they changed the design in 2011 but i don't know how much better it is.
    I can get a cutting for the straight blade at $140 bucks the SW I had to get carbide tips so it was $600 bucks to get a complete set. Just to get the parts to fix my plow was $820 in parts. i got the 8' foot straight blade complete for $900 .. I ended up switching the molded board.

10. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Thanks for the replies, most my cables break when we hit a pothole or something while plowing. I do keep them greased but at 200 per cable and my one plow has both cables broke right now and cant justify spending over 400 when plow seems to work ok without wings folding out. Snow still runs off ok and doesnt seem to lose any efficiency.

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Did they fix the wing design on the new ones? I know my old 860SW the bolt part of the cable would hit the wings when you hit something that made the wings fold back. Snap a pic of the wing near wear the cable bolts in there. I rarely broke a cable.