1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8600 Speedwing Wing Trouble

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by MGKlee, Jan 21, 2014.

1. MGKlee

MGKlee Junior Member

New to the site. I'm having problems with my driver side wing on my 8600 speedwing. It seems as if it is loose or one of the pins is broke. I am trying to find information on how to remove the wing but cannot find much information on it. If any of you have any help that would be greatly appreciated.

2. NORTHSIDE

NORTHSIDE Junior Member

I would like to see some posts on your problem soon because I'm looking into a new one probably within the next week and i don't want to jump from one problem plow to another so i will be watching your post for info that may help me. I hope you get yours figured out

3. MGKlee

MGKlee Junior Member

Your looking into buying a new Speedwing? I believe there is going to be problems with any plow you buy. I love these Blizzard Speedwings though. They make moving snow quickly and efficiently. Although the extra moving parts like the wings that make it so quick can be troublesome at times with repairs like these rather than just a straight blade plow. I will post pictures of the work I do to it. As it needs to be on a forum somewhere as I couldn't find the information I needed to fix the problem.

4. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

So ??? ….. did you follow up on the info that was provided to you in the Thread you started about the Wing Cylinders Bending ??? ….

Please Let Us Know what happened ??? ….:cool:

There was some VERY Good Help offered to help you out by the OEM !

We'd like to know if it was of their opinion that the issues were neglect or product Failure Or ???

Sorry not trying to de-rail your thread MGKlee, but you started another of the same thread here and basically said the issue you're having was due to an accidental Hit to the plow ???

Cheers !

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  5. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Dealers have a tool to compress the wing spring. This allows you to remove the wing. It will be very difficult to do otherwise or without making your own tool.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No update on the 8611 issues?

7. MGKlee

MGKlee Junior Member

Blade Blow Bucket. You can derail my thread all you want. I'm just trying to figure out some things about the speedwing so it can be properly fixed. Yes it was an accidental hit but it happens. I guarantee everyone on this forum is guilty of it. If you don't have any real input into it then get off this thread. It's people like you that piss me off. Nothing informational to say. Just ********.

8. Michael Frank

Michael Frank Junior Member

Bliz&Hinniker is correct. There is a "Spring Removal Tool" that should be used. The spring has a lot of tension (to make the wings react) and the tool is designed specifically for removing the spring. Not sure what specific model you have but on the website we have copies of the manuals. Located in the Parts and Service section. http://library.blizzardplows.com/.

Towards the bottom is the Spring Removal tool literature. http://library.blizzardplows.com/blizzardplows/pdffiles/68335.00_010113.pdf

Recommend taking it into your dealer, without knowing the specific issue it is difficult to troubleshoot.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  9. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just drop the pin in to lock the wing straight then remove the wing with the spring tension held by the pin ? If a spring is not broken does it really need to be pulled to service the wing. The cable is what puts tension on the wing and that can be removed by locking the wing and removing the lock nut and nut on the cable. Once that is done the wing is just held by the main pin , correct ?

10. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

this last storm i damaged my passengers side wing.
    I was thinking of how much I love my plow then a pot hole caught the tip of the wing and puled it back snapping the top of my wing were the main bolt goes threw.....I removed it now waiting on parts

11. magnatrac

I just replaced my wing pins a week ago due to the wings flopping around. The pins were bent and the top hole was egged shaped. For a quick fix we stuck a washer at the top and bottom of the wing when we slid it back in. Kind of a pain to line it all up and slide the pin in but it really tightened things up. I just want to get through this season and then do a real fix. My plow is on it's third season and it sure is getting best up. My 860sw on my old truck had five seasons on it and showed none of these problems. As long as the plow is making me money I can't complain, just a cost of doing business.

12. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

whats the design different from 860sw and 8600sw.....

13. magnatrac

I dont know if they are that different but I am running the same route and the 8600 isn't holding up like the 860. We have 2 8600's and they are both showing signs of wear. Mine has blown out wings and my brothers has leaking angle cyliners. These plows are on there third season and the first 2 were very light winters. We love the plows its just disappointing to have them wearing out this fast. I can say that the ph2 switches are a joke. the plow mode/hitch mode switch used to be in the cab on a controller with the ph1. Now its on the plow and out in the weather. We had them fail on both plows this season. that $13 dollar switch ($60 from blizzard) can shut the whole plow down.

14. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

I have no dealer support everything needs to be ordered including cutting edges ...I love this plow but I don't know if I made the best choice....

15. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

this is the damage done this week..

photo 1-3.jpg

photo 2-5.jpg

16. magnatrac

By the looks of it that damage has been there. The thick steel is all rusted up. It has probably been cracked for some time and just finally let loose. My main wing mounts ( where yours broke) are fine its the top where the metal is thin that has worn. I guess it just takes the right kind of hit and things have to give some where. What does the plow side look like ? If it's just a wing atleast thats an easy fix.

17. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

that is the top...its upside down :drinkup:

18. magnatrac

It looks as if your broken piece is a solid 1/2" piece of steel. My 8600 has 2 1/4" pieces stacked rather than one thick piece. This is on both the top and bottom wing pivot points. My top hole is egged out ,I took pics when the wings were off I guess I should post those. I still think that your wing was cracked for sometime. The part numbers between the 860sw and 8600sw have a -1 added to the new parts no. There must have been a change because a lot of the other numbers cross over.