1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

860 sw

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by westernboy16, Dec 20, 2005.

1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

would you put a blizzard 860 SW on a ford f-350 super cab or a regular cab with 7.3 diesel and short box THANX
  2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

If it is money difference we are talking, then yes. If you can afford the extra $300 then put a Blizzard 810 Power Plow on. Just my 2 pennies.

3. Chris S.

Chris S. Junior Member

The 860sw is a great plow that has many advantages over the 810 but a couple disadvantages as well. It is cheaper, weighs less, uses less electricity, is faster to operate and is less maintenance to name a few. The only downsides to this plow are when in transit it is 7" wider than a 810 which does make a difference when traveling down a narrow road with on coming traffic. When back dragging you can't get as close to the obstacle unless you mechanically pin back the wings. This plow is a great concept because the wings operate themselves as needed which simplifies operation. When the 860sw wings are pinned in straight blade position you have plow that is 9'9" wide a whole 3" less than a 810, so a 810 is not that much more productive and I believe the speedwing also has more curl to at the top of the moldboard which helps roll that snow great. This is my opinion of the two plows after owning and plowing with each. Both are great plows and neither one will dissapoint.
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I agree that a 810 will take a bit more getting used to. I assume that once i get it down it will become second nature though. It took a bit to get were I could run the fisher V effectivly like it was second nature. I think for a plow that was getting used by employees(not the same one but a situation of different guys in the truck possibly) I would go with a SW.

One area were I see the blizzard being worse off for me than the fisher is I do an area that has alot of cars parked and I like being able to scoop between 2 cars parked next to each other. I suppose wit the blizzard I can shrink it down to 8' and make it through(now I will be able to go through bank drive throughs!!!) but I will lose the "scooping" function between em.....for that lenght I should be ok and shouldnt leave a huge trail off unless we have BIG snow.

the SW is quicker than the 810?! I thought the 810 was fast after running fisher and western plows!
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  5. Rodd1

Rodd1 Member

As rat lover said about between cars is correct with only one lot for me very small parking spaces . what i did not like about the speed wing is the cables Look like they would be a issue but i just looked at the small one .what got me is the 810 was only 300 more for it so that is why I went with it.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

crap cant edit.....I ment the SW wouldnt fit between cars easy at all.....the 810 will with the wings sucked in but I would still prefer the fisher to "scoop" between em. Although with the scoop of the fisher the truck was pretty long and a slight PITA to manuver around.
  7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Ratlover, did you finally get a new truck?
  8. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

What are the 860SW's going for in MN, around the metro area?
  9. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

hey dieseltroop i dont know how much they are going for. i was just asking if that would be a good plow or not.
  10. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Yes, I know you were just wondering if they were a good plow or not. Figured I would see if anyone knew what they went for around the Twin Cities.
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Priced an 860sw 2 weeks ago. 36**.00 plus 300.00 to install... The same dealer wanted over 3700.00 for an 8'6" Boss. I didn't price an 810, but I thought they were a lot more expensive....