1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

860 SW reliability

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by oldmankent, Sep 19, 2011.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking for a new plow and am considering the SW. Got a new to me truck 2005 F350 crewcab short bed with V10 with fisher push plates, but not sold on fisher. thinking about the sw or a snowdogg. I really like the idea of wings, but am wary that the wings themselves will not hold up. I can take the wings off the snowdogg when things get tough. For those of you with the SW what are your opinions on this plow? Also, what is the length of the plow in scoop mode and with the wings pinned back straight blade? thanks, Nick

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Great plow. 8.5 in scoop (thus the 860) and about 10 with them pinned back.

3. Duramaxallison0

Duramaxallison0 Member

Speed wings are great plows. Pretty much same as the power plow but more reliable and less weight and also cheaper.

4. oldmankent

I've read some posts about bent wings and broken cables and wings not returning back into the plow. Just the chances you take or abusive handling?

5. lilweeds

Cables breaking should be fixed on the newest ones (but if not an easy fix). Wings can bend if you use it like a bulldozer. Wings not returning I've never heard of, maybe if something was jammed in there?

6. oldmankent

I read all Alaska Boss' posts so I'm pretty caught up. Just talked to local dealer and they aren't a dealer anymore since Douglas dynamics bought out blizzard. So blizzard is not an option anymore. Fisher or snow dogg it is.

7. lilweeds

The XLS is a good plow, heavy but good. Haven't heard much on the SD.

8. oldmankent

I've got wiring and controller for a straight blade. Looking for X blade but seems like I'll have to spend minimum of 3k for a 3 year old plow. Lame. Can get a speedwing installed for $4700. Snowdogg 8.5' is $4900. Seems like after I sold the fisher pushgear, wiring, and controller I wouldn't be that far off the mark.

9. WHITERAM

WHITERAM Member

your local dealer was misinformed...on 9/23; I recieved 46 units from Blizzard...and 54 more on the way...

10. oldmankent

No, you just misread my post. The dealer that used to carry them stopped when Douglas bought out blizzard. There are no dealers near me who carry blizzard.

11. WHITERAM

WHITERAM Member

ah...gotchya...my bad