1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

860 Speedwing cutting edges

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by bhmjwp, Jan 9, 2010.

1. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Looking for some input. Time to buy new edges. Have been told difficult to replace-have been told easy as any other! What the real scoop on this-do the wing need to come off-seems nuts.

Also, what might be better than the stock Blizzard-checking with Jerrie's on the winter blades. I'm told any are in the 4-$500 range. Quess I will get aggressive this next Tuesday.

Thank you for any imput-what a great plow!

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Edges are easy to replace. No need to disassemble plow.

3. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Thanks, always good to know before getting into. From looking at appeared straight forward. Anyone with experince on different edges? Are there some better than the stock?
    Thanks.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Take your old wing edges to a fab shop and have them weld new edges on the old ones, and double them up. Jerre has a Winters setup that will work, but it is pricey.

For the main edge a good fab shop should be able to make one of those as well. and possibly one that will hold up better then OE. The are some places that have a carbide "hard Weld" that could be applied.

I luck out, my fab guy has a water jet for metal cutting and he can make me an edge in a few minutes.

5. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

hijack for a second... i bought a new edge for a 8 straight this fall and it cost $180. Is that normal is is the dealer marking up that much?? also has anyone bought a new edge since dd bought them out, mine doesnt sit tight to the top of the lip on the moldboard like factory but the dealer called dd and said they havent had any problems with them so i have to run a bead of caulk across the top of edge to keep salt from getting in the middle and rotting out. sorry for hijack. Going through what i did next time i need an edge ill go to the welding shop and have them make me one. good luck

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

That's another reason why I just have that stuff made. It's cheaper and it works better.

7. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

yea it was a $180 mistake and it wont happen again...they local blizzard dealeris the only one around within about and hour so...

8. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I ended up buying the original equiptment. Found a dealer in Wisconson-in stock and 40% cheaper than local-thats with shipping. Local dealers would have to order from factory-3 to 5 days with no guarantee on delivery time. Isn't that nuts!

I think I will add poly edges to the wings-see how it works. I have an old poly edge from my Sno-way I can use. Thanks for the replies.

9. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I'll never buy the factory replacement edges from Blizzard. They're nuts if they think I'll give them $436 for 3 pieces of steel. I just made my own out of regular carbon steel, and it's wearing fairly fast, but even if I got a single season out of it, the $65 I have invested plus my time means I can replace cutting edges every year and it's a drop in the bucket compared with the factory edges. Blizzard has seriously pissed me off with their parts prices. I'll post a thread soon with the angle cylinders I retrofitted my plow with for a fraction of the price of the OEM replacements.

10. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

I have to agree with you on the prices I am a dealer and also try to out source parts and especially the edges got a set at a machine shop as we speak to get quotes I have to say sell mine for almost cost

11. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

As I normally do not complain too much about dealer pricing-what gets me involved in checking out other sources 1) Dealer does not have in stock-my experience is the manufacture has a master dealer that's sells to all dealers in their territory-if they are out then they order from Blizzard and Blizzard orders from their producer. By the time it gets to me-who knows-with min shipment orders-maybe 3 or 4 weeks. So I find a dealer who has in stock and can ship. If in the process I find a better price-my advantage.
    2)Dealer does not want to sell unless he can install. Talk about mark up. Had one dealer tell me that the blade assembly had to be removed to install edges. So I ask here-and it looks straight forward. I find myself on line often because of this-and often times buy from dealers on here do to their advice and service. A small dealer in a small town can greatly increase their business by having the best customer service and inventory. This to me is what the Internet offers to all that wish to take advantage of it.

12. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

yea no kidding about mark up...called local dealer (wich I knew was expensive) for headlight assembly for blizzard plow and he says 140!!!! so before i called local i called the dealer i bought my spreader from they were confussed y i called them and i told them thay were going 2 be cheaper than local, he saiid ok i only paid 100 shiped to my house for the set of 2...Crosby Equipment in toledo ohio is great.HAHA