1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

860 Speedwing broke

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Alaska Boss, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

2 days ago I had just finished one of my commercial accounts, when I lifted my new Speedwing and saw that the left wing was hanging limp & backwards! I saw right away that the main pin that the wing pivots on had either broken or fallen out,... and after digging around for a few minutes, I found the broken pin,... and am amazed that a pin this big could even break! Nothing on this plow is thicker than this pin. (1" pin). It was around -40° at the time I was plowing, so now I'm wondering about the quality of Blizzard's steel,... if it's too brittle for the kind of cold we have to deal with here. There is absolutely no damage at all to this plow in any way,... not even a ding,.. I have hit nothing at all with it yet. The Blizzard dealer is well over 200 miles from me (the only one in the whole state of Alaska as far as I know), is not returning my calls, and the kid that works in the shop said he doesn't think they have one,... which means this pin is not available in the whole state of Alaska (my greatest fear about buying a Blizzard,.. no dealer support). The plow is not useable if one wing is not attached. I have really liked this plow so far, but just wondering if I got the only one with a pot-metal pin,... and how long til the other one breaks for no reason,... :angry:

Wing falling off (Small).JPG

Wing pin broke on Blizzard (Small).JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Another view. The only thing holding the wing on are the 2 small pins that the cable is attached to, when pulling the wing back straight with the moldboard when it's the trailing wing.

Speedwing falling off (Small).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The pin

This is the broken pin,... it's 1" in diameter & about 7" long broken,... it broke where a small hole had been drilled thru it to hold a smaller keeper pin or roll pin, apparently to keep it in place,... anyone else broke one of these yet?

PICT0003 (Small).JPG

4. schuitb

schuitb Member

Lame duck!

Hello, I don't have a SW or a blizzard for that matter but,, could you just pop another 1" bolt or pin into the "hinge"??? Try a Cat or Heavy duty equipment repair or dealer to get a Strong HD pin/bolt.

I understand that you have a new plow and would want a "OEM" part but you said you can't use that plow...

Don't know if that would work but thought i would suggest it..

P.S. I am strongly considering the 86SW for next year.. Suprised to hear that it broke..

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Well.. I suppose one could,... however, I wasn't prepared to have to deal with that on a brand new plow,... if it turns out that these pins are a problem, a person just better have an extra one or two on hand,.. not sure how hard or how much of a hassle it is to change them.. guess I'll find out soon tho,..

6. schuitb

schuitb Member

The pin

Yeh, It looks like you have to compress the spring to line up the wing and mould board.. might be a pita..

And yah.. brand new plow and you have to jimmyrig it to keep it going...

Good luck.

7. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Mine too

Funny thing... that left wing. My 860 SpeedWing is only two weeks old and the other day I noticed the left wing was loose when pulled back by the cable or pinned in the extended position. I called dealer and he said just to use it untill summertime. He doesn't know why this condition exsists or what is causing it. The pin is not broken and we can't see anything amiss when compared to the other side. I can move the wing forward and back about 2" and up and down about 1". As long as the spring is pushing against it it's tight. Anyone else with this problem?? Or are we missing something? The cable is adjusted properly.:dizzy:

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Speedwing pin update,....

Well, I finally heard back from the Blizzard dealer, and he's sending me a new pin thru the mail,... I think he may have pulled one from an extra plow he has on hand,... so that's good. He said I'm the first one he knows of in Alaska that has broken a pin on an 860,... but he's heard of several on the 760 SW,... seems kinda funny that there would be a different pin used on a 760 vs an 860,... in any case, he said he's talked to Blizzard about this, & they told him that they are looking to make a different pin for these plows (maybe harder he thinks), so time will tell. So, this is apparently something that Blizzard knows about,.. and maybe the rest of you SW owners out there might want to grab an extra pin to have on hand, because you can't use the plow if this pin breaks and the wing is just flopping around & unsupported. The dealer here says it's not hard to change them,... I'll take & post photos of when I do it so everyone else can see what it's about,... :waving:

end of pin.JPG

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Ok heres the scoop on that one. Main pin is hardned, problem is that the roll pin that goes thru the hole to keep the pin in works it's way out and binds the main pin and then the main pin snaps off. It then falls down thru the bottom of the plow.

Easy to replace most of the time.

1. thaw it out or clean it off
    2. carefully angle the plow to the opposite side of the broken pin.
    3. block the plow up off the ground.
    4. CAREFULLY pull the wing back into place. Small pry bar may be required
    5. look down thru the top hole ( remove the plastic plug ) and do the best to line up holes
    6. Use a come a long between the two wings if necessary to help but only put minor pressure on it.
    7. Drop the new pin in place ( will have a slight taper on one end )
    8. SCREW THE ROLL PIN AND WELD A WASHER TO THE PIN IN THE AREA WHERE THE ROLL PIN WOULD HAVE WENT.

WE use 3/4 4140 rod stock to replace these or in a pinch you can use a concrete grading stake ( they are hardened steel and have a pointed end for easy install ). LOWES, HOME DEPOT etc will have them as well as most lumber stores. Yes I know youre in the great north so I'm suggesting almost any 3/4" rod will work for now to get you up and running.

Would like to see a redesign of this pin but don't think they are listening to some of the dealers.

Have seen this since the first year right before the change of ownership and it was discussed then and we finally just got an up date from DD about it. Glad they are finally coming to the party.................

Washer trick works great. Other option is to use the longer pin and put a pin or washer on the top

Have another long term solution but it requires a little metal trimming if you're interested.

J

10. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

jerre to the rescue again

11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Hey, thanks Jerre,.. I figured if anyone knew if this was just a freak thing, or an issue to some degree, it'd be you. So, it sounds like what you're saying, is that the main pin itself is not really the problem, but that the roll pin comes out. This was the same issue that I had with the main swivel pin in the center section of my Boss V-blade,... roll pins work out, main pin comes out & screws up all kinds of stuff,... I welded washers on both ends,.. can never be a problem again. This pin is 1" in dia.,.... is the reason you're suggesting using 3/4" stock of some type, is because that is an immediate fix, on-the-job, and trying to get perfect alignment to replace it with 1" stock is too improbable? When you say "drop the new pin in place",... does it drop thru the hole on the back-side of the moldboard that's covered with the black plastic plug? Because on the other side, the tapered end is up,... which would imply to me that the pin is installed from the bottom & pushed up. I can't even tell at this point exactly where the roll pin is on the other side,.. maybe this will be clearer when I actually do it. I would imagine that this pin would have to be "driven" in to some extent,... if perfect alignment was achieved, it would fall right thru down to the ground. But I will for sure do as you suggest & tack-weld a washer and/or roll pin in place, on both sides, so this cannot happen again. This would probably be something that all Speedwing owners should do, before it happens to them & they damage the wing itself. I will post pictures of this when I do it, so others can see what this is all about. Thanks again for your input! dave

12. Jerre Heyer

My Brother Tom corrected me the 760 is 3/4 and the 860 is 1" pins. See everyone makes a mistake.

Yes the hole is under the plastic plug thats why I said remove the plastic plug in #5

The pin has a slight taper on both ends of some of the pins but one end usually is more tapered.

They can be put in from the bottom also ( I cheat and use gravity )

Which leads to they can fall out the bottom ( that's what happened to yours )

ELIMNATE the roll pin is the best.............Using a piece of solid rod is the best ( no hole for stress point. )

Good luck.

J

P.S. lights on or lights off?

13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Got it,. now I see why my dealer said he's seen a few of these break on the 760's, thanks again for replying !! :salute:

14. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Speedwing Pin Replacement

Ok,.. here we go. I got a new pin in the mail today for the wing on my 860 SW, and here it is, compared to the broken one,... it's a little over 9" long and tapered on one end.

AA (Small).JPG

15. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I bet that pin is not made by Blizzard - so the quality of Blizzard is still #1

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I had to do this outside today,.. & even tho it's -46°, having a space heater blowing on it thawed off all the snow & ice so I could see what I was doing. With the pin out, the wing itself is pushed too far out & forward by the big coilspring, so it won't swing forward by itself in order to get the hinges aligned again,... the wing hinges hit the moldboard, as the second photo shows,...

A (Small).JPG

B (Small).JPG

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

It took me a little while of fooling around until I figured out how to get the wing where it belongs,.. & here's what I did,... you have to angle the blade over to the same side as the wing that's not attached,... my left wing came off,... so angle it over to the left,... the cable pulls the wing back & in just a little, which is what you want, but you have to be sure the the edge of the wing stays on the outside of the main moldboard, so it can swing forward. Then attach a come-along across the plow (Jerre's tip) with just a slight tension on it, so when you begin to angle the blade back towards straight, it keeps the wing back before it starts to swing in, so the hinge stays behind the moldboard. I had to just bump it slowly toward straight and slightly tighten the come-along several times before it stayed in position & was straight,...

C (Small).JPG

D (Small).JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  18. Jerre Heyer

Little love tap with a hammer after you get the washer on the cable out of the way and you'll be all set.

Make sure to angle the blade to the opposite side to get the most slack in the cable.

J

Honestly you were set up for a potential disaster that way as you are putting quite a bit of tension on the cable of the come a long when you angle the plow back. When the plow is angled forward on the side with the wing problem there is slack in the cable and the wing will move fairly freely. LIttle pry bar and hammer tap and it will jump almost in place.

Looks good. J

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  19. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then I popped the black plastic plug off of the back of the moldboard, thinking that I would drop the pin in down thru this hole, but soon realized that this is not possible (despite the advice that this is how to do it), for at least 2 reasons,...
    A) It won't fit (maybe the 3/4" 760 pin might, but you still don't want to do it, for reason #2)
    B) Even if it did fit, you'd be putting the pin in upside down, and would not be able to anchor it in the right place with the small roll pin, so the hole drilled in it would have no function.

The shop manual for this states " *Pin must be installed and/or replaced from the bottom", and as it turns out, this is just fine anyway. So, this black plug covers a hole that is simply an inspection hole, so you can see when things are lined up.

E (Small).JPG

F (Small).JPG

G (Small).JPG

20. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I was amazed that when the wing was in place (all by itself, with no prying or tapping with a hammer, etc), the hole alignment was perfect! (which told me that nothing was bent at all). It was so perfect, that the pin would not stay in place even when I pushed it in from the bottom, it would just fall out, which is what happened when it broke,.. I had to hold it with one hand to take the photo...

H (Small).JPG