1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

860)0 speedwing

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by johnnyusa, Dec 6, 2011.

1. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

I just purchased a speed wing and was wondering how the guys who have em like them for back dragging my dealer and jeeres likes them but I've never plowed with one thanks

2. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I like mine but I don't do alot of back dragging. only bad thing is the wings don't allow you to get right up against the curb when back dragging. If you do alot of it you can always pin the wings open.

3. Duramaxallison0

Duramaxallison0 Member

Tbrothers, suprised I havent seen ya around. I also have a speedwing and from lakeville. I like mine but just like tbrothers said about back dragging. its nice to save the extra weight, price, and things that can go wrong over the Power plow. I had couple little issues with mine but fixed them with my own solutions over blizzards and made it stronger. There are some great write ups from Alaska Boss, I think thats his name.

4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I liked my first one so much we just bought two new ones. As far as back dragging goes it really isn't that bad. It takes a little more room if you don't pin in the wings. The weight difference isn't an issue ( imo.) ,it is still a heavy plow so it does well. We always shovel a couple ft. infront of garage doors so getting close isn't a issue. When doing the condos we used to do I actually preffered the s.w. over the 810. Yeah I had to spend 45 seconds to pin the wings in but then i was ready to drag all the drives. I love the fact that the wings hold in place rather than fold forward like the 810 did with heavy snow. I haven't had to do a thing with springs on the s.w. I can't say the same when was using the 810 for the same route. I also like the fact that they run 1/2" wings edges standard opposed to the 1/4" on the 810. Power plows are great but if you can look past the back drag difference the s.w. will work great. It can do 95% of what the 810 can. I don't know what you plowed with before but the s.w. will be a great plow that will save you tons of time !!!

Good luck ,shaun

5. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

.thanks for info. Shaun i plowed with an old fisher and back draggin was bad. I do condos plus drives with a back draggin is it better scrape with wings pinned or do u recommend. Leaving in scoop. What did you do?

6. magnatrac

For condos I always hit the streets quickly then lock the wings and pull back all the drives into the street. Then unlock the wings and and clean up the mess. We had to put all the snow in specific spots so that's why we went with blizzard in the first place. It took forever with out western straight blades. Other than the time to lock wings there was no real difference in the time it took to do the job between the 810 and s.w. If you only have a drive or two you can drag just fine with it in scoop mode. The wings only cause you to loose 12" vs. a straight blade and it's 103" wide in scoop mode so thats still plenty wide to make good time. It will take a couple of times for you to figure out what works best for your route. Either way if your used to a straight blade your going to save time with the s.w. !!!

Good luck ,shaun

7. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

Thanks alot for info how about circular drives is speedwing better than a 8ftq straight i used to struggle with running over with tires o corners on my old 7.5 ft fisher wondering if longer blade will help. Thanks

8. magnatrac

Plowing circle drives ( if not too tight) and culdesac streets with islands are way easier with the s.w. due to the fact the trailing wing is laying back just as if you had a 10' plow angled. It's not perfect but much easier imo. A 7.5 straight blade isn't even as wide as your tires when fully angled and driving straight:dizzy: Your going to be very pleased with the new plow switching from that !!!

,shaun

9. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

thanks Shaun

10. 1smoknz

1smoknz Junior Member
    from 53523

Like the otheres I pin the wings back or do a little shoveling in frot of garage doors. BUT the BEST thing I did was put a back drag cutting edge on mine. The plow actually scrapes better in reverse than it did going forward. I can shave ice off concrete and asphalt. WORKS AWSOME!!! If you dont know where to get one let me know the dealer I work for stocks them for most plows. 608-289-1568 Aaron

11. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I've only seen one other SW in the metro maybe it was you? Most of my polowing is in the Eden Praire area.

12. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to hi jack this thread but I have been looking for a back drag edge for an 06 blizzard 810. Smoknz can you get in contact with me about this? offdutylawn@hotmail.com Thank you for your time