1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 W250

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by HD61CUIN, Dec 15, 2007.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

My firehouse may be getting rid of our 86 W250 4x4 gasser. It has 30K on it, professionally maintained, no rust. A little surface rust under the rubber flooring, something that can be taken care of. Already has the lightbar, just have to change the lenses. Can a new Western Plow be fitted to this? Does Western make brackets? I looked online but their site only lists back to 94. I am looking toward an 8'6" Straight Blade setup.

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

no one still makes the 72-93 dodge frame mounts ...

You could always find and use a older (72-93) frame mount and just change the pin box to fit newer plow. Both Myers and Western are the same.... the only differance is some are 26 and some are 28 at pins for the plow.

3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well it could always be a dedicated salt truck....

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

i picked up a set off ebay during the summer for like $5? +shipping just brackets

5. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Can't say I have that much experience modifying plow setups.

I can operate em but I am not familiar with what you are talking about.

I have been a driver for 7 years now. Bobcats, Wheel Loaders, Dump Trucks, Pickups, ATV's. All someone else's. Now I am looking to work MY equipment for someone.

Guess I better start learning more about repairing my own stuff, and learning how to do a conversion like you speak.

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

if you buy it
    get this off a 72-93 truck (mount brackets)
    http://www.cacuda.com/other/DSC00536.JPG

then change the pin box (left piece in photo) to fit your new plow.

Yes if your going to use your own stuff best learn how to fix it, this way you can cut your down time. (down time your not making money)
    I keep a spare pump, hoses and fitting, pins fluid, and tools to change them in my truck anytime the plow is on. this way if it breaks i'm only down 15 minets to and hour.

7. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Any good machine/welding shop should be able to modify a mount to fit your truck, If the truck is a deal I would buy it in a heart beat, remember to Oil the hell out of the body every season, I do my plow trucks spring and fall!

8. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

The truck has spent it's entire life in the firehouse. It has barely 30K on the odometer. It is a 318 V-8.

The department may be selling it this spring, so I would have all year to work on it. I was going to visit my local Western dealer to see what he can do in regards to a mount. I am looking at getting a new 8'6" Pro Plow Straight blade & Salt Box.

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

10. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

11. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

12. Metro Lawn

13. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Hey Metro, its kind of Ironic your signature says "The Official Snow Service Contractor of
    FORD FIELD" when all as you plow with is Dodges. I like your fleet... It makes me feel better knowing how many you have that made a good decision in sticking with my MOPAR roots... Do you have any pics of the entire fleet?

14. Metro Lawn

I have them posted on here awhile back. I will try to track them down because they won't let you post the same pics twice.

15. packey

packey Member

I spoke with a western dealer earlier this fall and they told me they still have munts for the 1980 through 93 trucks. I also know hiniker has mounts and I when I was speaking with my boss dealer He said he could still get mounts.