1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'6" vs. 8' straight blades?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WilliamOak, Dec 21, 2008.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Alright heres the deal, I'm looking to get a plow for my truck and I have come upon a question that I believe could be thoroughly answered by the always honest plowsite folk. lol enough BS, I was wondering with straight blades, does the extra 6" of an 8'6" make that much of a difference? Do you feel that your productivity increases greatly with the addition of that 6"?
    The 8'6" is a unimount and a little older.
    The 8' is an ultramount, which is what I would prefer unless you guys really think that 6" makes a huge difference.

Thanks for any input.

Colin

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the 8' and ad wings. Otherwise, yes that 6" helps.

3. WilliamOak

Do the factory western wings only fit pro plows or do they fit older ultra's? or would I have to go with pro wings?

4. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

I wish my meyer 7'6" had an additional 6". wings are differently in store for me. But around here driving around with an 8'6" plow would just such. Our roads are so narrow and they never plow the snow all the way off the road.

5. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

every girlfriend I've ever had has always said an extra six inches would be better :p

But yeah every bit helps in my opinion. its six more inches of snow you can take in EVERY pass

Moral to the story:

Size does matter wesport
    ;)

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The Western wings fit on the Contractor Plows only. I would buy the ultra mount over the uni mount. What is your main type of plowing?

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Im just going to leave that one alone, OK, i wont, what they really said is "even 6 inches would be better".

8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

:)
    I just couldn't help myself....all this talk about whether 6 inches was good/bad/needed or not just led itself right into my comment. 6 inches, omg I didnt even know they got that big!

9. santaclause

santaclause Member

I go to pa five nights a week for work and they do fine job of maintaining the roads hell after an ice storm you have to dodge the hanging trees and branches on the interstate hell up on I380 out of scranton the trees still are bent way over hanging near the road if you were over too far you would hit them she is definetely quite a state for road maintenance

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Quit while you can :eek:

6" inches on a plow makes a differance.

11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

colin, the 6 inces does make a big difference, its really got nothing to do with the fact that its an extra 6 inches, but the snow clears the tires better, especialy around turns... the more you end up driving in the snow, the more you have to replow the same areas over and over... personally im thinking 9 footer

but in your case, id go with the ultra mount, you can remove the plow about 10 times easier... and your truck like mine , will eat gas when your plow is on ... i would advis removing it when ever possible... normally im too lazy or its too cold to remove a uni mount, but ill pull the ultra off with no complaint

12. WilliamOak

Alright here's the uni:
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/pts/957965145.html

And here's the ultra:
    http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/965485222.html

Mike my truck eats gas already w/o the plow, I'd hate to see it w/ one on all the time lol. As for right now I'm leaning towards the ultramount and I can get a set of pro wings or something (would rather not drill into the moldboard though but they're my only option....right?). However if the person with the uni will come down on their asking price enough then I'll go for it. Something doesnt seem right with the ultramount I found, and neither list a phone # so I have to wait for an email back.... great.

13. WilliamOak

TTT
    Do you guys think that a 9' straight would just be too much?

14. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

I rebuilt my 7.5 convetional western on my 1979 F-250 to a 9 foot width. the truck holds it just fine, and I noticed a huge time savings.

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with an 8.6 or 9. I'm sure if you looked up the weights from an 8 to a 9ft the weight isn't much of a difference, I bet it's under 100lbs. If you really wanna fly in light snow, toss some wings on the 9ft. Have a 11.5ft plow.

16. WilliamOak

here's a question, more directed toward elite; At what point would you rather take a larger unimount over a smaller ultramount, what about wings on the ultra?

7.6'ultra
    vs.
    8.6'uni

17. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I would say 8'6" plow is the ticket. 9' is great if your only doing lots, but that extra 6" which does make a big difference does get to feel a bit big........ Wings on a 8'6" and you'll be making great time.

18. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

I would take the 8 inch.
    my plow is 7ft 6 inch and I can get by anything like at bank atm's..

I could add wings on my plow makes it 9 ft wide. with an 30 angle.

19. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

get the biggest thing you can get without having something too big for what your plowing.

That said, we plow some SMALL lots where our f150s/7'6" plows still seem tight, the F350s even tighter.

We have some big places that an 8-9 footer doesnt seem like enough but its sure fun. I dont think you notice much between a7'6 and an 8, but from a 7'6 to 8'6 it seems like its starting to get wide, 9 footers are pretty nice. Were going to get a 9'2" V XT next season for the one f350 and put the 9' straight on the next truck we get.

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

colin, i wouldnt go anything smaller than 8... and i would trade 6 inches for a ultra.... so if i had a 8 ultra, or an 8.5 uni , i would get the ultra in yoru case becasue it comes off, and this is yoru only truck . Me i dont care , we hook up and leave most of the trucks hooked up all the time

if it were 8 or 9 foot...then id go 9