1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 v6 auto

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by thumpper, Oct 29, 2005.

1. thumpper

thumpper Junior Member

I need advice from the Jeep professionals. I just picked up a 86 Cherokee, automatic, 4 wheel select drive with the small 2.5 V6. I have driveway contracts and wanted to add another small vehicle as back up. Will this Jeep hold up. I will be setting up a 6.5 Meyers power angle up on it but before I start welding I need to make sure there is enough power to handle it. I would rather go with a 4.0 but that's another story.
  2. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

That should be a 2.8 V6. The 2.5 is the 4 cyl. You shouldnt have any probs plowing snow with it. I have a 91 with a 4L, and does great plowing.

Hope this helps
  3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

The 2.5L is a 4 cyl.
  4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I had an 86 Cherokee with the 2.8 V6 and that motor is a piece of crap.
  5. thumpper

thumpper Junior Member

Sorry your right its a 2.8 V6 and I agree with you I don't think it will hold up.
    Thanks for the advise
  6. payton

payton Senior Member

the 2.8 was junk no way around it. if the body is decent it would makea good swap canadite but other wise i wouldnt use the 2.8 for anyhting other then an anchor

MSHAIL Junior Member

2.8L v6

Is this Jeep 2.8l v6 the same one Chevy and GMC used in the original S-10s and S-15s? If it is I had an 1983 S-15 with this motor and when I got rid of it it had 189,000 on it and still ran good.
  8. computeruser

computeruser Junior Member

It should work fine. The 2.8 would not be my choice of engine, but should be OK if not abused.

You might wish to consider getting some subframe connectors, they will stiffen the body up substantially and are not particularly expensive - a few hundred bucks and some welding. I cannot imagine owning a cherokee without them (though I don't own a cherokee presently).
  9. addicted

addicted Senior Member

The V6 is a time bomb. Sell it and get a 91+ HO 4.0.