1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 Suburban radiator plumbing problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jamsubu, Nov 3, 2001.

1. jamsubu

jamsubu Junior Member

I tore up the front end in a wreck. The body man that replaced my front clip could not remember how to plumb the radiator and I never knew. I've got 7 holes in my new radiator. Fill, upper hose, lower hose, vent bottle, and two trans coolers. What is number 7 for? It is located above the two trans cooler holes. My Haynes and Chilton books don't provide a plumbing diagram. Thanks for your help, I know this is going to be easy, huh!

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If it's a nipple for 5/8" or 3/4" hose it's probably the return from the heater. Seems like I've seen some of them done that way.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Alan, is right,some models dont use the retuen in the radiator tank,they return to the water pump,some even go to the lower hose with a T.The pressurized water to the heater core should come from the intake manifold,either right front,or way in the back,by the distributor.Most new radiators I buy have a plug in the box to plug the hole if you dont need it.

4. BigBlock454

BigBlock454 Junior Member
    from Jersey

Not sure if this is the same but I own a 86 with a 454. It is HD emissions. I have one hose just below the cap going to the heater core. The next is the tranny line from the cooler to the hole just below the heater hose. The next one is the tranny line going to the tranny. The top tranny line from the tranny goes to the top of the cooler. The return line goes to the top hole just below the heater hose. Then you have your radiator hoses.

Just remember the top tranny line goes to the cooler. The return line from the cooler goes to top hole where the tranny line would normally go. The bottm tranny line goes directly to the bottom hole on the radiator.
    Good luck

5. BigBlock454

BigBlock454 Junior Member
    from Jersey

oh yeah..I have a small return line from the radiator neck to the return tank..

6. jamsubu

jamsubu Junior Member

Many thanks BigBlock 454;
    I appreciate the further clarification on my tranny routing. I had a 50-50 chance of fouling that up but no more.
    Thanks.