1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 suburban 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bigjak, Feb 13, 2004.

1. bigjak

bigjak Junior Member

I have an 86 Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4. The Check Engine light has been fickering on and off lately and I don't really know what it means. According to my book, this truck does not have a CCC computer, the only ones that have a computer are the calif. emissions and the fuel injected ones. This truck has a 4 bbl carb, no O2 sensor or TPS sensor, and I can't find a computer or a hookup under the dash. It has factory dual exhaust and no cats, but it has 2 smog pumps??? I know this truck has never been butchered and is all original, I bought it from a longtime friend that bought it as a factory exec vehicle with 6000 miles on it. The book says this truck shouldn't even have the light, any ideas????

2. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I have 2 86 chevys...both have engine lights that just simply do strange things...my p30 light used to blink with my turn signals, my choke light also did for a While and now only goes on at startup...my guess would be the all has to do with bad grounds and old wiring. Neither of my 86's have computers either. to be on the safe side, check the oil pressure, engine temp, and choke. These may cause the engine light.

Both trucks have 350's

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've seen some vehicles where if the smog pump is worn out or defective, the check engine light would come on. I'd say get rid of them and free up some horsepower.:nod: :waving:

4. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

I agree with The Boss,
    I would rip all the smog crap off and then throw it in the garbage. Then take a piece of black electrical tape and put it over the check engine light:D this will fix it for good. Also like bgingras said I would double check the fluids and pressures. The light may be wired up to them some how. Since it is the older style truck, there cant be to much wrong. I would not worry about it to much.
    Nacho

5. bigjak

bigjak Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Guys. I was getting the runnaround from a few of the local Chevy shops, don't even know why I call dealerships for info! All the fluids and temps are good,as everything else I checked. The Smog garbage is coming off when I get the hot rod motor done! Thats gotta wait til the paint gets done, got the new quarters and rockers on, just need a taigate or to fix what I got, and maybe a cowl hood....

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I don't know a lot about chevys, but my non computer dodge has a check engine light that comes on as an emissions check reminder every so many thousand miles. it has a box with a 9v battery behind the glove box. resettable to turn off light- stick a probe in small hole in box.I think it's hooked up to trip by the speedometer. Maybe thats all your dealing with here.

7. bigjak

bigjak Junior Member

I'll have to check that out. My mom had an old Chevy Citation that had a flag that would come up on the speedo every so often that said "Emissions" that meant it was time to do a tune up. I am pretty picky about my "toys". The black tape over the light thing don't cut with me.

8. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

bigjak,
    That black tape thing was more of just a joke, even though we did it on our old chev dump:D It is purely a work truck, don’t get run unless it is working. Anyway, sounds good that you are planning a performance upgrade for the old chev. Nothing beats a shinny looking Chevy with a big engine. I am sure you will have fun doing it and playing with it when it is done.
    Nacho

9. bigjak

bigjak Junior Member

I bought this thing as a winter truck and it got out of hand, got more in this one than the "good car". One thing that kinda peaked my interest is that it has a 4 speed, I have only seen one other Suburban with a 4 speed, I think that one was a 78 or 79.

10. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

forget the black tape, the lights are so annoying on my 86's that I took the bulbs out...they light up when you hit the turn signals, etc.

11. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If you can tell me what transmission the vehicle has I can tell you what the check engine lite is for. If the vehicle is equipped with a lock-up converter type transmission it does use a computer to control this and the check engine lite will be related to this area. If it is a 400 turbo or 350 turbo transmission the lite will be related to the EGR system and will most likely be a an EGR service timer.

12. bigjak

bigjak Junior Member

it's got a muncie 4 speed

13. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Manual transmission? Check engine lite should be just a service timer for the EGR system. I will look up location and reset(disconnect procedure) and post later.

14. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Looked up the info this morning. On a manual trans truck the check engine lite is triggered by the AIR system. If you want to fix make sure the AIR(smog pump system) is working correctly. No leaks in tubing, all valves operating correctly, etc.. Otherwise just remove the smog pumps and all associated hardware etc. and pull the bulb. If you decide to fix, there is no computer hookup for this system and it is self reseting after the fault is repaired. If you want the service info, since you are also located in Omaha, PM me and you can come up to my shop and check out the service manuals for your truck.

15. bigjak

bigjak Junior Member

Thank you very much, I may take you up on that!