1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'86 Ramcharger Brake Pad/Caliper Issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by olesnowpatrol, Sep 28, 2011.

1. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

Hi All,
    New to the site and new to replacing my own brake pads. Have done some searches on this site and on You Tube, but I'm stuck now.

I got the old brake pads off and used a C clamp to push back the caliper (with the brake resevoir caps off). Fluid pushed back up into the resevoir...good sign I think) but I can't seem to get the caliper back far enough to slide the new pads in without them rubbing on the rotors.

Are there any easy fixes for this or do I need to get new calipers?

Since I'm pretty clueless, so lots of details are appreciated.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So the pads are in the caliper and you can slide them over the rotor and bolt it on? If so your set to go.
  3. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

left side on (but had to use rubber hammer to get them on...they are rubbing right now...is that ok?), right side is not open enough yet for them to go on. Just bought a bigger C clamp to give it a little more persuasion.

Would opening the bleeder valve help?
  4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The calipers are junk...
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ya, run down to O'Riellys and grab a couple calipers. It should not be that hard to install brake pads.
  6. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

Olesnow - first - the pads should rub on disk when installed, that's normal, if you turn hub by hand and there is light resistance thats fine. If major resistance, not fine. If you had a bad caliper, I'd expect you'd have noticed a problem when you drove her home. Usually (but not always) a brake would stick on or one side wouldn't work and she'd pull to one side.

Is piston retracted until flush or nearly flush with body of caliper? If so make sure pads are fitting in caliper properly, sometimes they need a bit of grinding drop into place. If you have a lot of scale built up on caliper where pads ride you made need to clean with wire wheel. All that being said, if the piston won't retract all the way new calipers are needed.

On a related note - were you able to adjust the back brakes?
  7. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

Hi Rick
    Thanks for the feedback and advice.

Haven't looked at the rear brakes yet...I'm sure that'll be another post from me in a week or so :mechanic:
  8. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Are you putting new rotors on. You don't mention whether they are new or if you had the old ones turned. If they are new, then it will be a snug fit. If you had the old ones turned, then, the pads should slide over them pretty easy.
  9. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

Bad calipers. Replaced them with new, bled out the old fluid and now good to go! Thanks for holding my hand.