1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'6" pro plus VS 8'6" MVP VS fisher SS extreme v 8'6"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRS Landscaping, Jan 20, 2011.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

right now i have an 8'6 pro plus on my truck and im thinking of getting a v plow for it. I like the mvp because i wont have to yank my mounts just get the wiring, controller and plowside. what do you think is better the pro plus or either v blade and why. right now i do driveways and im planning to get 2-3 lots next year and add a ranger or tacoma with a 6.5 blade. should i upgrade to a v or stay with the pro plus? im looking at reliability and efficiency, its going to cost me a max of 1k to upgrade so the $$ isnt an issue. if people that have either the mvp or fisher extreme v could chime in that would be great. thank you :waving:

2. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I have the xtreme v and I love it. Very fast hydraulics and scrapes to the blacktop. I can't comment on the mvp however.

Time to go plow :)

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Other than the mounts the plows are pretty much the same (I believe both made on same line even) as both are Douglas Dynamics Cos. Which ever has better dealer support, personally I would probably stick with the Western MVP as it will cost less (some wiring & mounts will switch) & you already have an established relationship with that dealer, unless the dealer sucks.

4. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

you have a pro plus already why dont you just put wings on it?

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 8'6" MVP at work on a F350.
    I added 12" wings to each side, this thing moves mountains of snow.

I really like the response of the hydraulics and the blades overall performance so far.
    I have always run western straight blades and this is the 1st V. I have not been disappointed.

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Get the MVP.

7. JRS Landscaping

i don't wanna do wings. Only reason i am thinking of getting a v plow is to improve efficiency. I was thinking the SS fisher because it wont rust and its not much more than the mvp. Only thing i am concerned about its how it hooks up. i really like westerns ultramount system

8. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I would go with the western just because you already have one and say you like it, to me the SS fisher isn't that big of a deal all thats SS is the plow skin all the bracing will still rust.

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go with the SS EXV. It is a great plow and the moldboard wont rust. Yes the rest is steel and can rust, but as long as you wash it, store it inside and spray it with fluid film and touch up any dings with rustoleum paint it will look 10x better over a steel or poly western plow in 5 years even if you give them the same treatment. Plus the mounting system is not as bad as guys say. It takes me a minute to put the thing on and take it off. My buddy runs all westerns and he has problems also hooking up the plow. No system is perfect. Plus if you wanted to sell it down the road it holds it value a lot better then a regular steel or poly blade. I have ran meyer, western and fisher and fisher X Bracing is the best IMO>

10. JRS Landscaping

burkart, hows the ground clearance on the mounts in the off season? since you cant pull the recievers off. il leaning tward the xtv because its SS and and it will go with the color of my truck nice.

11. Burkartsplow

There are no issues with the ground clearance of the mounts. I know that from the center hole of the mounts to the ground is just under 18 inches on my truck. I have the T bars cranked a few turns and longer bilstien 5100 shocks on the front. I can take a measurement from the lowest point of the mounts to the ground for you if you like. but it is going to be a couple of inches different. And in comparison to the recievers on a western they are not as cumbersome. A lot of guys have gotten new EXV this year and everyone of them is very happy with there purchase.

12. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

A longer shock will not do anything to help support the vehicle.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Any vee plow will be a tremendous improvement over the straight blade.

14. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

MVP is nice my father has a 8'6" it is very nice i have used it for three storms

15. Burkartsplow

The longer shock helps with the ride of the front end since the t bars are cranked.shorter ones would over extend with the bars cranked.

16. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Okay, I see what you are talking about now. A lot of times, I hear guys saying how they use a longer shock to support the vehicle. Never mind.

17. JRS Landscaping

burkarts, i see you have the winters edge guards? do they interfere with the trip edge?