1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'86 ford f 250 help?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fga, Sep 16, 2004.

1. fga

fga Member

i just did an oil change on my '86 ford f250. cranked it up after, and it was running really top notch. It has hardly gotten driven this year at all. i've been using my dump full time. i just go out and start it occasionally. after i started it, and ran it for about 15 minutes, i shut it down to tidy up the inside. I then tried to start it up, and the solenoid (right by the battery) just starts ckicking and i can't get the motor to crank. when i turn the key, i just get the clicking from the solenoid. i'm going to replace it tomorrow, i think it's like 15 bucks, no big deal. but does it sound like that's it. i get a tiny bit of smoke from the solenoid, very little. Is it obvoiusly that, or something else you think. I consider myself a decent mechanic, but when it comes to electrical, i hate trial and error method. thanks....

2. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Buying parts instead of proper diagnosis will get expensive quick. Start out cheap and check all the electrical connections to make sure they are clean and tight. You'd be suprise how a bad connection can keep you from driving.

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Could be the solenoid. Before you buy a new one, try jumping the solenoid to see if the truck starts. Could be in the chargeing system or a short somewhere. Did it start quickly the first time or did you have to jump it?

4. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Check the wiring down at the starter. My 1994 does that some times, has for years.
    All I have to do is wiggle the wire off to the side of the starter and it will start. Over time I guess it just corrodes a little and the wiggling cleans it out enough to make contact again.
    Good luck,
    Mark K