1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 f350 starting problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

just clicks when it strys to strat but it just clicks once than nothing till you turn the key again any ideas i think its the solinoid

2. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

prolly a bad connection or batt cable,check all the connections and ground points.Then if all checks out and still nothing, check starter and solonoid.

3. Morrissey snow removal

when i put a wrench to both the terminals nothing happens not even a spark

4. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Across the small terminal and the battery terminal on the solonoid?Nothing happens?

5. Morrissey snow removal

no the 2 big ones battery and stater wires

6. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Is this a solonoid on the fenderwell or on the starter.If its on the fenderwell then the one on the starter could be bad cause the truck should have tried to start.If there isnt a solonoid on the starter then the starter is prolly bad.You should have got a spark from them.

7. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

I assume the batteries are good also?

8. Morrissey snow removal

yes brand new and there is 3 plunty of power

9. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

If you jumped the starter solenoid across both big posts and nothing happens, either the starter cable is bad or the starter itself.

Could also be a siezed engine, but I doubt it.

10. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Morrissey- O.K I had the same problem on my 1985 F-250, Heres what you do. Lossen the battery post termanials then take a cotter pin or a finish nail and put it between the battery post and termanial, and tighten them down nice and tight, that will take up any space and ensure a nice tight fit. Also when you crank the motor have someone watch the battery and to see if the are a sparks or arcing happening. If there is that means that there is space between the battery post and termanial and it is not making a good contact. Hope this helps Let me know how you make out.
    Shane

11. Morrissey snow removal

fixed cables were loose and stater was junk put a finish nail in between the cable to thanks for the help guys

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had one on my 89 that when I replaced it had the little sheet metal cover over the solenoid arm totally rusted out.
    The space was full of dirt, gravel and salt when it finally died. Built Ford tough starter for sure.