1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 F-250 swap

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BIGREDDODGE, Jan 18, 2005.

1. BIGREDDODGE

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

I am going to start the process of taking a 85 F-250 2wheel drive body and putting it on my 86 F-250 4wd frame. Anyone ever done this, is there anything out of the ordinary that I can expect?

2. s-10racing

s-10racing Junior Member
    from east

hello, i installed a 87 body on 86 frame, my biggest problem was getting fuel sending unit to work & switch tanks. i ended up putting a aftermarket gauge for fuel level,as far as everything else you need trans cover from 4wd its taller on some,sending units for gauges sometimes can be a problem.i ended up using the 86 brain module on it instead of the 87 computer. i would not get rid of anything til you know it the truck works like it should. i got rid of the cab & ended up needing some of the harness. it is not to hard to change over. just time consuming matt

3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

you shouldnt' have any issues since you are using the same body style (80-86). you migh tneed to cut the hole in the floor for any shifters, some came with the removable pan some not. are the engines the same? if not computer might need to be swapped over if it is a inline or 302 or 351w ...

4. BIGREDDODGE

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

They are both 460's the 85 body is an auto, the 86 is standard, i will be using the standard, is it not that big of a deal to put the clutch pedal in?

5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

just unbolt the brake and clutch setup and move it over....all the holes should be there for the linkage under the dash

you have the C6 tranny?...if so it doesn't matter which computer if ya have one......