1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'6" EZ-v restoration...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 07PSDCREW, Oct 17, 2013.

1. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Back in April, I traded my 8'6" HD straight blade for a MM2 EZ-v. The plow was in ok shape but needed some tlc. I tore it down over the summer and replaced almost all hardware possible. The headgear uprights were very thin at the bottom at the curve and were rotting out.. I plated all around the tube and reinforced it and it looks factory. The front of the mold board needed some patching as the metal was thin and getting bent up in front of that closed box area. I also filled that boxed area with slow cure expanding foam so as to keep the moisture out. I used 11ga steel to patch the uprights and the moldboard.
    All new hoses, new filter kit, new center pin, all new ram pins and trip edge pins, new spring retaining bolts and pull down cable. Just waiting to pick up some new cutting edges and she'll be good to go!

What I started with...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tear down...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

More:
    [​IMG]

Primer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

4. I did the same thing with mine when I got it three years ago...its the way to go for many more years of trouble free service.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah, I have one sitting in the yard that needs this attention. Should have done it months ago :( Looks great, but I can't help my pet peeve - IMO cutting edges (like springs, pistons etc.) should stay black, though you are replacing so i'll get my way ;). I don't fully understand the purpose of that "chamber" anyway - most have a crease in it and it seems there would be a better way to add some bracing without that structure.

On a side note, are you running HIDs or something? Not sure what the wires are between truck and plow headlights?

The edges don't look too terrible - is the center flap missing and it would drag if you didn't get everything new or just don't want to grind out the smile?

6. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

looking like new!

7. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Thanks, this is my third plow restoration. The center flap will be installed as soon as I get the new edges as the bolts that hold the flap go through the edge first. The edge will be black as well. The trip edges do have a smile in them but that will be fixed once the new edge is put on. I adjusted the plow so it lands on the ground level in all positions taking into account the additional 1 3/4" that the new edge will add to the height, so that should help in keeping a smile off the new edges.
    I do have an HID kit installed that use old analog ballasts. I powered them directly so as not to blow the module. The module just provides signal to a relay inside each light and direct power comes from the left and right battery via 25a fused strobe cables with connectors. I can delete this setup if I simply buy digital ballasts, but I had these laying around. This setup came off my old plow from last year and it worked well.

Last years restoration...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Thanks Chris! My wife says I should do this restoration stuff for people that don't have time to do their own and make some money while I'm at it.. I can't wait to get an X-v though, Im torn between xv and xls though.

9. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

wanna do my new to me XLS? lol it needs a little love.

I need to blast and paint. along with all new edges. Price was right tho.

10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Well done!

11. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Looks great that thing was in much worse shape then it looked like in the first picture. Just finished mine too, now i need edges and new lights. You might want to check your lift arm, where the shackle piece connects might be worn down. Mine real worn so i switch with a regular blade that had the new style triangle.
    i painted the area where the pistons go on the blade black too.

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Your little tykes back up truck looks like a cold ride not to mention I think you're asking a bit much of it to carry that vee. :laughing:

13. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I blasted mine too. All the nasty orange stuff was blasted... Cost me 100$ by a guy that does commercial truck frames. He snuck it in while doing some other work.... I just forgot to take pix after blasting..
    I'd be interested in helping you but I'm up here near Worcester.

14. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

It's amazing how much a new center pin and ram pins will tighten up all the slop in the blade...!

I noticed there's a small groove in the loop that holds the hook. Thought about grinding it out...however, it's not that bad. Also thought about buying the pink breast cancer triangle too..BUT I need to save my pennies so I can buy the multiplex gear for a new plow I'm getting.

15. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Yea I'm thinking about the triangle too. I need a few more parts for the multiplex and ill be good. When you getting a new a plow?

16. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I'll have the cash around January/February... Not sure if I want an XLS or the XV...but definitely want a new style. I'm more leaned to the XV though.

17. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you for not painting the springs yellow. It always looks terrible when people do that. Also did you pay attention the the loop on that old style lift arm, They tend to be quite worn out where the clasp meets the loop. Greasing that part helps then last. Lol I just re read the posts I see you noticed that groove. Ive seen them like 7/8 of the way through and not broken. The new style arms are so much better.

18. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I would never paint the springs yellow! Yuck. That's why I tore the plow apart...to give each plow part it's own attention. The loop will need to be replaced eventually, but its ok for now. I'll keep an eye on it. Everyone is calling this lift arm the "old style".... To me, the old style had a chain hook on it.....maybe it would be worth it to buy a new arm...?? Hmm

19. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the new style arm has a pin the the clasp mounts that also rotates and ive never seen one wear. You could make the same thing out of the old one with a pin clasp and flat stock but for 110 might not be worth the work. If you grease that clasp (wheel bearing ) it will make it last longer.

20. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

looks really good