1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 custom 20

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sm04257, Mar 7, 2014.

1. sm04257

sm04257 Member
    from maine

a friend of mine had this truck and it has a fisher plow,the tranny lines have a hole in them and the fluid leaked out so he dont use it, the fisher plow is the one with the pump mounted on the engine, overall the truck is in fair condition and the 350 purrrs like a kitten. how much would this truck be worth, i dont want to pay to much if i get it

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

1500 or so?

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

It would depend mainly on condition of the body and frame. Frames rot out near the fuel tank area and have been known to crack under the steering box. Anything else, mechanically wise, can be replaced pretty cheap.

For comparison, I paid $2900 certified for my '81 K25 in solid (albeit work truck dinged and dented) condition from a Canadian Tire mechanic. Came with a nice rot free (and freshly painted) 7.5' Fisher Speedcaster (same as you are describing) that just needed a cutting edge (and I added Pro Wings), and a power tailgate on the rear (ideal for loading snowblowers etc).

For the home mechanic type (like myself), these trucks are far more desireable than the newer 'old' trucks. No electronics, have solid axles on leaf springs, etc. ALOT less to go wrong!

Tranny cooler lines are a piece of cake afternoon fix in nice weather!

Tell him to name a price, if he won't, start at a thousand bucks and see where it goes from there! If he gets insulted remind him he won't give you a starting point so you named one, and remember it is a 27 year old truck! You will get it for a good price...

Keep in mind if you are not a mechanically inclined individual, NO older used work truck is gonna be a good idea for you, make payments instead of repairs in that case...

4. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

My neighbor has one in decent condition, I seen it for sale but he always asks for top dollar,

This year I seen the hood up a lot maybe I can score it this year!!

I'd much rather have a restored old truck vs a new electronic pos

5. sm04257

sm04257 Member
    from maine

ok i got back with him on the truck and asked him to give me a price,he told me 500 so i guess i have a truck now,the mechanical work is no problem to me or anything else on it .thanks for the input guys, if nothing else i can part it out for more than 500

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

you bought a plow and the truck came with it

7. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

So how bad is the body? Is the blade an 8' or 7'6".

8. derekbroerse

Pictures or it didn't happen!!!! :D

Good score!

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

I agree ...need to see pics of the bargin

10. sm04257

sm04257 Member
    from maine

the body doews need rocker panels and the blade is a 7'6 blade he parked it in the lower yard and right now cant drive to it but i will take pics as soon as i can

11. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

me wanna see me wanna see

12. sm04257

sm04257 Member
    from maine

pics

i got pics but cant get them to upload

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  13. derekbroerse

14. sm04257

sm04257 Member
    from maine

pics

ok i emailed them to you

15. derekbroerse

Here are his pics, hard to get a good look in the deep snow.

Looks a little rough in the back half, but if it won't clean up with a little elbow grease and paint it can always be stripped off in favor of a flatbed. Front half looks pretty presentable, IMO can't go wrong for $500!! wesport

Good luck with the project!

xIMG_0044.jpg

xIMG_0045.jpg

16. sm04257

sm04257 Member
    from maine

thanks derek
    under the real light can be fixed with a little work and time so can the rest of the bed,

17. derekbroerse

Rust often looks worse than it is, especially on light colors. If it gets out of hand, you can buy whole aftermarket box sides from Mr.Taillight.com for somewhere around $300 each too... there are lots of options with these trucks.