1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 Chevy C30 Dump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RMHSR, Oct 20, 2012.

1. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

I am trying to add some new life to my old dump truck. First thing is that the front end is due for some rebuilding. I need coil springs but I find listings for without F42 heavy front suspension or with. I don't have a clue what front suspension I have. The truck was a cab and chassis truck new. It is a dually and is rated 10000 GVW.

Next question, I am removing the under powered 350 and replacing it with a fuel injected 454 from a Suburban. I am trying to figure out if I can add an electric fuel pump to my current fuel tank or if I need to replace the tank to accomidate the electric pump. The model number differences for fuel tanks I have found are GM 11B (which is what I have now) and GM 11C. Anyone know the difference. Thanks for any help.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're sure its 10K lbs.GVW from the door placard,then it wouldn't be the heavy coil spring option.

As for your fuel pump,why not save a ton of money and labor by just mounting a HD pump in line somewhere,if possible by your tank?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

open glove box and look on rpo code list sticker for the 3 diget code.

next 87 was first year for efi / tbi in the trucks and the tank got a baffle inside to match the new sender unit that has the pump on it.

2 ways for fuel pump. external mountad as close as possible to tank as thay push better than draw over long distance. and dont forget the inline filter and return line needed.

other option 87 tank with 87 sender unit and pump.

ether way you need 15-18 psi rated pump for tbi use . as once its regulated at the tbi unit its 11-13 psi out to the injectors.

and check your doner motor setup as some last year or 2 454 trucks got a mid to high 20 psi system for fuel i have heard.

4. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Thanks for the advise. I knew this would be a good site to get some answers. Not too many people seem to know about anything built in the 80's anymore.
    The donor motor is from an 88 Suburban. I was told that for whatever reason that the previous owner had to look up parts for an 87 454 so it is probably the lower pressure option but I will try to find out. If I mount a 15-18 psi pump by the tank, will it loose enough pressure by the time it gets to the injectors or will I have to have an inline regulator mounted close to the injectors to be sure not to over pressurize them?

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

inline pumps like to push . so psi drop that far not problem. and use hard lines and EFI pressure rated rubber hose.

also the tbi unit has its own built in regulator . all you need to supplu is return line back to tank.

3/8" feed and 5/16" return .