1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 Bronco

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by A.L. Inc., Sep 22, 2003.

1. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Hello everybody,
    I had been looking for a backup truck for this upcoming season and today I bought an 86 Bronco with a Meyer plow. Truck has (I believe) a 302 with an automatic trans. It runs well, exhaust is new, has dual batteries, and the plow even works:D . Not a very pretty truck, but the price was right, and hopefully it will serve it's purpose.
    I plan on going over the truck and plow this fall, and figured I would ask you Ford experts what weak points I should look out for, or any advice on prepping the truck for winter. (Besides removing the Meyer and using it as a boat anchor):D
    Thank you in advance for your help, Mike
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The TTB front suspension is something to watch, although that Meyers is a pretty light plow. I believe you should have the c-6 tranny, it's a stout unit but get it flushed and fluid changed. The 302s of that era were gutless, you'll have to be patient when traveling between stops, but it should do. Just give it a good tune up, and carry some CRC with you. The distributor is up front and fine snow will get sucked through the radiator, and coat the distributor with moisture. If the truck stalls for no apparent reason and won't restart, spray the cap and wires with the CRC.

I bought a rubber boot for the distributor from a late 80s Mustang GT to help with the problem.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Check the drivers side front axle beam for cracks,and make sure all the diff bolts are tight.

Remove the wiring harness from the lower intake and tape it up.The tape they used in those years just falls off,and the wires will rub through and short out.

Check the little spindle bearings.Try to move the outer axle shaft up and down throung the knuckle opening,and if it has a lot of play,then replace the spindle bearings,and check the hubs.When the bearings go they will cause extreme wear on the hub assemblies.
  4. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I had a '86 bronco last year in my snow crew. It was a decent truck. Those engines are incredibly reliable. You might want to consider a locker for the rear diff, because our bronco would only spin 2 of 4 wheels, causing it to get stuck once in a while, especially in the big storm this year. ALSO - you NEED something in the front end to lift the truck and make it ride evenly. I had 2" lift springs in teh front, and it rode level with my meyer plow. We have a new bronco ('88) w/o the lift springs, and the wheels are so bowed from teh weight, that we are putting lift springs in it too. I would strongly recommend some suspension mods, or the front end will be shot within no time.