1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

86 1 ton, altenator problem..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by spongebob, Oct 7, 2004.

1. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

ok heres the deal, i removed the smog pump from this truck (454 goodwrench engine). the bracket that held the smog pump also held the altenator.
    i have a big block bracketry (sp), but i keep snapping off the bolt thats used to tighten up the serpentine belt.

you know the long bolt and spacer...dosnt align up...my altenator is held in place by a bracket from the water pump theres a bolt going through this bracket that then goes through the altenator with a nut on the other end..then the bolt up on top for the adjustment..

what can i do or what brackets do i need to get?? :cry:

2. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

OK, let me say it another way...what stock car/truck has a big block in it and has the altenator on the passenger side??......and isnt combined with a smog pump..? :cool:

3. crashz

crashz Senior Member

The 454 in my GMC has the alternator on the pass side w/o any smog equipment. See if you can get the bracketry for a 1978 ( I swapped this motor into it) 454 one ton dually. The dealer should at least have a picture of the bracket.

4. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

ok doOd, ill have them make a cartoon of that year and ill scan it to you to see if its the same..thanks for the help.. :)