1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8500/karrier controls - problems overloading controller

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by jasonosu, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jasonosu

jasonosu Junior Member
    from ohio

I bought a used 8500 tub with no controls and bought brand new Karrier controls and wiring. Hooked them up and the salter runs great....
    Added a little salt (maybe only 6 inches deep) and the auger stops, controller flashes red "overload", the system reverses and tries to clear, but will not move in the forward direction. Controller flashes red "jam".
    Have tried brand new bearings, brand new electric motor, messing with the baffles; nothing seems to work.

Anyone run into a similar problem? Thanks, Jason
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just to throw this out there. Make sure auger is spinning in the right direction. Long story but I had an issue. Kinda similar. So ck that out
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yep....same thing here. Lucky for me I still have the factory controller stashed under the seat.

I adjusted the sensitivity of the Karrier controller, but it will still throw the overload code if I drive any distance while loaded.....I have to turn it on & off, or hit a bump to get it going sometimes. The snowex controller never does this.

Also after "about" 1.5 seasons of use, the on/off switch failed....Karrier did send me a new one for free.

Oh, and now when I turn the controller OFF, it shuts the spinner & auger off....but the lights stay on, and the vibrator will still work. This is random...some days it will stay on all day, some days it never does it. Was told by Karrier not to worry about it, wont hurt anything.

Not happy with the controller....and at this point will never buy another one. Bob at Karrier seems like a decent guy, and has been helpful....but has always implied I have issues that are causing this somewhere else in the system. I, along with 1 of my guys, and a local shop have looked over the system....its good....and when the factory controller is hooked up, we have no issues at all.

Plain & simple, the controller is like a girl on her period....over sensitive.
  4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto. Had this happen.
  5. jasonosu

jasonosu Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the input. The auger is going in the right direction (that was one of my first thoughts).
    Still haven't figured it out.