1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 SW Auto to Manual Conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 64swv8auto, Mar 25, 2003.

1. 64swv8auto

64swv8auto Junior Member
    from Midwest

I am looking for any and all information and insight to convert my newly purchased '85 SW Silverado 350 (Turbo350-400 not sure) 1/2 Ton to a stick. Will any of the newer 5-speeds work or only 4-speeds? I need 5th for long distance towing... 1300lb roadster and open trailer, what clutch, transmission and rear gear is recommended... ...so glad to see another Chevy forum that has useful info... keep it up...

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can put in just about anything you want,but you will have to make some modifications.A later model 5 speed would work,but you would have to modify the trans crossmember,and the driveshaft.You will also need the clutch pedal,and related parts.

Your not towing a lot of weight,so you don't really have to go manual.You current setup will work OK,and is fairly bulletproof.If you want an overdrive,maybe look into a 700R4 auto.They were available in that truck,so it's a direct bolt in,and will give you the overdrive for reduced cruise RPM and better mileage.