array(0) { } array(0) { }
  1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 scotsdale

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by oldtruck, Nov 29, 2001.

1. oldtruck

oldtruck Junior Member
    from pa

i'm looking at bidding on a 1985 chevy scotsdale, 117000 miles, 4x4, 5L, longbed, needs front end work with a 7.5' western plow. I can't find any comparable trucks for sale, and I don't believe kelly blue book. I'm only going carry 5 loads of wood a year and plow 3-4 feet of snow a year on 2-3 driveways. the point is, i'm not going to use it a lot. 50 hours a years max.

any known problems with a scotsdale?
    so what's it worth? 500, 1500, 2000?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2001
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Well, there's a lot of things that COULD be wrong with it. You didn't say if it's a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, but they have the same 10-bolt front end, and while I don't know about the weight ratings for it, the drive components aren't very strong. You also didn't say what transmission it has in it, but if it's a 4 speed auto, I'd be careful about that also. I've lost a couple of these, and plowing isn't so easy on them. Before jumping into anything like this, look the truck over really closely and find out exactly what you're going to have to do to it to make it do what you want. Even if you get it for 500 bucks you could easily have to turn around and spend several thousand on it. How are the tires? Look for bad rust in the cab corners also, and over the rear fender wells. I'm sure I'll think of more things later.......

Hope this helps a little

3. oldtruck

oldtruck Junior Member
    from pa

thanks, here's more info. its an automatic and 1/2 ton. garage kept by a local PA township, little rust (1 2 inch hole in each rear wheel well. maintenance has been regular, rebuilt tranmission around 90k miles. Rumored to need from u joints.