1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85' s-10 clutch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by evil snowman, Feb 23, 2005.

1. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

i am buying an 85' s-10. it has a v-6, 5 speed, four wheel drive. the clutch doent work. if you put it in gear and let the clutch out nothing happens. does anyone know what is wrong. if anyone has done a clutch in an s-10 could you tell what is involved, i was told the cross member has to be cut out. i am only paying $100 for the truck so anything i do is worth it since it is in over all good condition. thanks for any help.

mike- :confused:
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The clutch setup is the same as any other GM clutch. I believe the clutch disc is a puny 9 1/8" (on 2wd it is anyways). You won't know what is wrong until you tear it down.

You will find these trucks are a royal PITA to swap trannys on. Lots of tight places that are hard to get tools, access holes in wrong places just to mock you etc. My older brother has had his (automatic) in and out of his '88 Jimmy something like a dozen times chasing a problem later traced to incorrectly made valvebody gaskets. Personally, I would have gotten frustrated long before that but he is so damn stubborn....
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I did one on my early 1990's S-10 and had to remove the body bolts on the driver side and jack the body up about 4 inch's. A real pain in the butt. The second time it needed a clutch I paid like 350.00 to have it done. It is a tough job.

Good luck Mike
  4. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

The earlier s-10 trucks were a bit tricky to work on, but after you do a few it's not that bad. I usually remove the transfer case first, seperate from the transmission, gives you a little more room to work. The crossmember does not have to be cut, the torsion bars are slightly in your way but you can work around them.
  5. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

thanks for the help so far. having someone do it doesn't sound bad, if i had the payup . do you think i could do it on a set of ramps in my drive way or would a lift be better, i have access to a single post lift, but that may not have the room i need. also about how much does a standard clutch kit cost; clutch, pressure plate, and t- bearing?? thanks for the help.