1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 k10 will not start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by barnes32b, May 6, 2007.

1. barnes32b

barnes32b Junior Member
    from PA

Have an 85 k10 with a rebuilt 350 that will not start. After the motor was put in it ran but would cut out and shut off. Rebuilt the carb put it on fired right up. Everything seemed good, went to take it for a drive and the brake line busted so shut it off. Next day fixed the line and went to start it and nothing. Put on another carb, still nothing. It is getting fuel and there is spark. Several people had a look at this no one has a clue.

Can anyone direct me as to what next?
  2. aus316

aus316 Member

sry to say dude all i can say is connections start at point a and work out im a mechanic and sometin sounds lood or broken:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: basics are ther for a 85 fuel and spark something isnt conected full time some where
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

is this points or electronic ignition,if electronic the hei module and or stater are prone to failer with age the wires on the stater tend to break with usage they are to short .
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Since it is an 85, more than likely it is an HEI distributor. You say it has spark, but is there spark from the plugs or checking the wires?? Could be fouled out plugs?? Or there could be something going intermitently wrong with your distributor. I know on the HEI's, there is a little black box looking thing under the rotor that gets plugged in and acts as a heat sink. When those go bad, the truck wont start for crap. I would check your distributor for sure
  5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Check the electronic ignition modgual(sp?). Its on the distributor. My 80 K 10 had the same problem, changed that out and it worked.
  6. Butterman

Butterman Junior Member

Is the timing right? Did anyone move the distributor? It will crank just not fire, right? I would say that something broke in the distributor.