1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 k10 blazer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Razzlo, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Razzlo

Razzlo Member

Hi Guys (and Gals). I haven't posted in a while. Actually I have been unemployed for over a year, and just started working again about 3 months ago. The wife wouldn't let me spend $$$ on truck stuff (Go Figure). Anyways, I have an opportunity to pick up an 85 K5 (10) Blazer 305 w/ 165K mi. Overall it is in rough shape. But the owner only wants $400. it drives, but it needs the following:
    New: Gas tank, exhaust, steering shaft, tie-rod, fshocks, etc. Tailgate and window
    Repair: Rocker cover gaskets, xfer case leaking, plus quite a few others

Is this worth it or am I just throwing away money? This truck will be used for mainly running around. I might look at getting a new motor within the year.

Thanks.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

They are good trucks.Parts are cheap and plentiful (both new and used),and they are easy to work on.

The repairs don't sound too major.A lot of them you could do yourself.I'd buy it,and fix it up.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The most costly repair you mentioned is the tailgate. The rest of the parts are easy to find, and cheap. Actually the tailgate glass shouldn't be hard to find, it is a solid used tailgate that will be IMO. From what you describe, besides the motor, I would expect to pay about $1500 to repair/replace myself. I just picked up a complete exhaust with cat from Auto Zone about 2 years ago, and the total was $549. So I guess that is a little expensive.

Go to www.lmctruck.com and request a free catalog. They have every part you can imagine for that Blazer.

~Chuck

4. Razzlo

Razzlo Member

:salute: Thanks for the input so far. I know that I can find many of the parts, and I have used LMC for various parts for my 84 C-10. I just don't really know the history of the vehicle, and I KNOW that once I start tearing into it, I will end up replacing everything from the ground up. When I lived in IL, I was close to several U-Pull-IT yards. But now living in WI., they outlawed U-PULL-IT's about 10 years ago. SOOO.... I guess I will be taking a drive to IL. But Hey.... it's only money.... Right???

5. Razzlo

Razzlo Member

Whilst I am thinking about it.... I know that this blazer has a removable top. Is there a back window for the Cab, or do I need to fabricate one?

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is no back window,when you remove the top.It is open,almost like a jeep.

I think there are companies who make an aftermarket one,try searching on the web.

7. crazy_cooter56

crazy_cooter56 Junior Member

If you didn't live so far away I'd hook ya up with the tailgate, exhaust, gas tank, shocks, steering column, and maybe a few other parts you need. We have an 85 that was wrecked in the front right and we bought it for the motor. The rest of the truck is still in pretty good shape. The tie rod and transfer are toasted though.

8. Razzlo

Razzlo Member

DUDE!

Dude Cooter. Where in N. Indiana do you live? If you have a parts truck, I would be interested in driving over there. Let me know. Thanks.

9. crazy_cooter56

crazy_cooter56 Junior Member

It's in Warsaw, Indiana. If you're interested shoot me an email at crazy_cooter56@yahoo.com and I'll take a few pics and email them to ya to see what you think. Or I might have a better possibility for ya than that. Email me and I'll tell ya more.