1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 K-5 W/Plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by B&B Plowing, Dec 1, 2010.

1. B&B Plowing

B&B Plowing Junior Member

Does any one know any thing about this Vehical??? It use to be a military blazer with 33 inch Swamppers on it.Then I bought it from my brother in law for $1K... It came with an 8ft Western. It has a 6.2 Diesel in it now but im Swapping it out with a 355 Chevy Small Block. Some things wrong with the motor thats in it and keeps stalling it self out. I live on the IL/WIS border and was wondering if any one knew any thing about this truck and how it will handle in the snow.

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'd love to have one of those for a plowtruck. Beefier suspension than a stock K-5, only has 3:08 gears but it does have a gov-lock locking differential in the rear. Th400 trans is really reliable, I think the t-case was an NP208, not the best but plenty good enough for that size truck. If you could find someone to get it running right it would be a beast with that motor in it. Not super fast but very torquey, and with that short wheelbase it would be ideal as a residential plowtruck. Probably run cooler, last longer and use a lot less fuel than an sbc. Go over to thetruckstop.us diesel forums and find the 6.2 forum. They can help you get it running right.
    You're probably going to want to get rid of those tires and run something narrower, they came with 31-10.50s, thats a good size and very available. It will handle the snow fine as long as you don't have big wide tires and put some weight in the back. Good luck

3. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

I have one, still has the 6.2L. Has a Western 7' 6'' on it with no ballast, plows just fine.

A good place to go for info is the C.U.C.V section at Steel Soldiers, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/ . You can also get all the tech manuals there too.

4. B&B Plowing

B&B Plowing Junior Member

Thanks again, I have looked all over the web and it has several different solutions for it... I just need some one who really knows what to do with that motor to come over and check it out in person. My nephew thinks putting a gas motor into it will be better off because he doesnt know whats exactly wrong with the motor. He has a Ford F250 with a turbo diesel and hes tried to just run a hose from a seperate gas can to the fuel filter and bypassing the fuel take with fresh Diesel and it still stalls out and boggs really bad... Hes just not familar with that type of motor... Id love to keep the 6.2 in there but I dont know a damn thing about Diesel and Im not going to bring it to a shop and have some one to try to figure it out for $110 an hour Im not made of cash...

Thanks again for those who have applied.

B&B Plowing - Brian is my name.

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Brian, there's lots of diesel forums out there where guys will give you all kinds of free advice and I'm sure there's guys who have had that exact same problem and can point you in the right direction. If it was a 6.5 I could probably help you, but you need a 6.2 guy. You actually might spend more on the swap than getting a little work done to the diesel. You're going to need to change the electrical system over, the fuel system and a new torque converter cause diesels are different. Just hate to see you give up on the diesel because you don't know much about it (yet). You know, the 6.2 is good for easily twice the fuel mileage as a small block Chevy.
    Either way, it will be a good plow truck,

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Dan hit it on the head. Do a little research on the Ole'6.2. It may not be the highest reving, highest TQ, highest HP diesel, but if properly maintained and not hot rodded, it'll go for a million miles. There's a reason the military ran it over the gassers. And if you swapped the motor out, you'd want to change the axle ratios too. 3.73's or 4.10's, because 3.08's with a gasser that's working hard will heat up any transmission.

7. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

If your having the trouble with keeping it running, I think the main problem could be the injector pump, that seems to be a common thing to go on the 6.2s that haven't had the pump replaced. I do believe you can get a replacement kit for the seals if they're bad. I know the pumps are not on the cheap side and you can pay big for them if you don't shop around. I'm not sure which direction (might be facing downhill), but if you park on a hill and try to start it and it wont start, that's a good indication that it's the injector pump.

You should also check the fuel system for any leaks, you don't have to have it leaking fuel everywhere to have a leak. One thing that happens is that there is a leak in the system and it sucks air in. I had that problem on one of my trucks, fixing it made the truck run a little better.

8. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

My 1st plow truck was a 90 K5 Blazer(fuel injected) loved it..Awesome turning radius..Had it for 4 yrs and only drove it in the winter months. It really went through the snow like a tank. Just didnt like the windows fogging up