1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 Jimmy for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by V8GremlinX, Oct 5, 2003.

1. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

i was looking at doing some side plowing, liek small places
    how good would a 85 Jimmy work? its a 2dr 4x4 with the 2.8 carb motor with about 50k and a brand new trans
    also what would be a good plow for this vehicle and what kinda cost would i be looking at?, let me know any info
    like pros and cons to SUV, kind of plows avaiable etc.....
    thanks for any hep
    Rich

2. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

also i am new to here, i didn't see much info in my searches on this vehicle, let me know if thers things to do to reduce hot temps etc... i gotta know before i buy this jimmy, i gotta a real good deal on it if i get it
    Rich

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

I wouldn't recommend a 2.8L for plowing.They just don't have a lot of power to push snow.It will work if you use low range a lot,but I'd suggest looking for smething better.

4. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

im just looking to plow small things, like my parents,reletives and some friends, just to make a couple bucks and have fun, the motor can be modified slightly can't it exhuast etc..?
    i jsut figured with having a new motor and a new trans and transfer case, i was getting it for a good deal, thats why im asking
    thanks for your help and any other u can help me with
    Rich

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

It would get by just doing small stuff like that,but it will complain about it.If your going to invest money in a truck,and a plow setup,your better off to get a better truck,and do it right the first time.

6. nben

nben Senior Member

My first plow truck was an 84 S-10 extended cab with a 2.8. Had a 7' fisher and 4.10's. I plowed with it for 3 years and it did fine. Granted, we did have bigger trucks on the road for the heavier jobs, but it was great in small drives, condo's and such. I wouldn't be scared of it at all, as long as you don't expect to move mountains in high range. I will say that those early 700R4 transmissions proved to be problematic for us.......Goodluck!

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

The 85 jimmy will plow ok. Get a 7.5 plow blade. I would get a sno-way but Meyer, fisher, western, Alot of plows would work great on it:)

8. LandscapeEscape77

LandscapeEscape77 COPPA Member

This brings a question to mind with me as well.

When I am pushing a lot with my little s-10 should I be in LOW RANGE the whole time?

I usually just go into it when im pushing up and when im stuck cause i can give the wheels a good spin.

Thanks

9. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

any idea, of what im looking at as far as price for a blade, i wanted to get one of the light weight ones. let me know
    any common problems with these when plowing?
    Rich

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

The 4.3L has a lot more grunt than the little 2.8L.We use our S10's in high range pretty much all the time.You'll know when it's labouring,it time to chuck it in low range.

11. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

after looking at 85 blazer i didn't get it, frame was bad and body was gone

but i was wondering i did find a clean 91 Blazer 4x4 4.3 5sp
    how would it be at plowing? or should i also say how is plowing with a 5sp
    i know i should look for something bigger but i only plan on doing small driveways and suck and i want a blazer/jimmy 2dr
    let me know
    Rich

12. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

4.3 Liter has plenty more power. The 5spd however is a personal preference. In my opinion manual transmissions are just another lever to play with while out plowing. An automatic is so much easier, especially when plowing residential drives.

But thats just my opinion.

Jay

13. LandscapeEscape77

LandscapeEscape77 COPPA Member

Back when I was 13 and my dad was short handed during a storm..he put me in an 83 F350 dump to plow some big lots. It was a manual 5sp trans. Granted I had never driven before I did fine with it, but the manual trans did make it tough. Its alot to play with, 3 pedals, shifting, steering, raise/lower the plow...and your corona extra in your other hand:drinkup:

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have a 91 S10 4X4 5 spd,and it was bought as a backup truck,but no one wants to drive it because of the stick.It's just too awkward.If your up to clutching and shifting,then go for the 5 spd.If you want to plow in comfort,get an automatic.