1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 GMC dually plow truck my first plow!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rocksbite, Dec 21, 2011.

1. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

so i picked up this 85 gmc 3500 from a local garage that got it in from a customer about 8 years ago. at the time they replaced the fenders, cab corners, inner and outer rockers and the floor. the brakes were rebuilt completely front to rear. the truck was used to plow there lot and make a few scrap runs.

they took the plow off and the dump bed. i bought it for $250

when i got it home i replaced the manifolds with headers straight back to flowmaster type mufflers. the side mount gas tanks had a hole and the bracket was rusted away. the bench seat was trash and the tires werent great. i built the wood bed in 2 hours with my brother in law to pass inspection.

i added the strobe light and fabed up the under braces for the plow mount and light brackets. the roof console controls all the accessories and the panel under the hood has all the selenoids relays and fuses.

it all turns off and on with the key and the switches on the roof. i will add pics of that later

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

2. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

nice truck, interested more pics

3. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

i bed lined the floor

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

4. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

THAT'S A FREAKING STEAL!!!!!! That truck is worth $500 in scrap alone.

Plus, the look of an old square body GMC/Chevy cant be beat

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Looks like a great truck to work with, will be a good truck to push with, keep the pics coming.

6. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

more pics sorry about them being random

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

7. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

i know the bias tires are ruff but the "at" type were on the rear and the more agressive "mt" type were $100 so they are on the outside rear

8. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

this is my first 350 even tho the crappy quadrajet carb needs to go i just love the power it has. the trans is a 3 speed with low.

im working on my salt spreader now.

o and that plow blade and a frame is for sale if your in my area. i have anouther blade with a rubber edge and i also have 2 extra e47s

the october storm we had has me hurrying on the build. i cant see spending large amounts of money when i can fab what i want for cheap. the mount im running has 2 pins at the tcase cross member and 2 at the bumper then it falls on the ground. the mount is adjustable height wise. right now i have it pretty much up all the way if i change tires or add a leaf to the front to level it i can drop it down 2 holes which would put it on the ground as it sits now.

i really need pics of the wiring. i spent an hour or so planning out the relays fuses and switches. i have 4 switches that get power when the key is on. 1 switches the truck lights to plow lights via 2 relays 2. puts power to the plow control 3 is blank and 4 is the beacon light on the roof

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

that is awesome i really like it hope it works good for you. plow looks a little dinky and unfortunatley meyers but still a really sweet truck there was a truck like that around here last year but somebody made it a dumping flatbed but they shortened it at least 2 feet and put a cummins diesel in it it was probably the stupidest looking truck ive ever seen

10. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

The blade is only for this year. I only have maybe $2000 total into it. If we get a lot of snow again ill build it up more and maybe a second truck for next year

11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

nice truck - back from the time chevy was still building real trucks.

i dont think i'd trust that plow mount.

12. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

The plow mount has more frame connection then anything I see on the road. The lower braces are dom

13. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Nice find, I think the plow mount is to low and also the flat bed. I had 3 80's gms an 82, 85 and a 87. They were great trucks.

14. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Great find! Keep it going! I love that body style, they don't make 'em nearly as tough anymore. I've had a '75 K10, '84 K20, and several K5's ('77, '81, '87) and miss them all. I am actually going to look at an '85 K20 this afternoon and keeping my fingers crossed that it's as solid as the guy says it is. Keep the old iron alive and keep the pics coming!

15. SSS Inc.

SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic

I hope the one you're looking at is as nice as this one.:laughing: This is an 85chevy that sat in the yard for 6 years that we sold to a friend of mine for $500 a couple years ago. When you shut the doors rust would fall off the truck. He took the box off and built a flatbed, new doors and everything looks beautiful now. I don't have a pic of the finished product but it always amazes me what guys can do to rust buckets.

71587_443371848029_705678029_5535062_7130079_n.jpg

67042_443371688029_705678029_5535060_5317450_n.jpg

16. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Nice find, those old Chevy's are like a Timex watch, they take a lick'n and keep on ticken. And you can rebuild one with not a lot of money.

I wish Detroit would go back to building reliable and SIMPLE trucks.

17. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

I love that if I had to I can buy parts at Walmart!

18. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

that truck is in really good shape for 85.