1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'85 era Fisher Speedcast Problem HELP?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rustbucket, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Hey fellas,
    I bought an '85 F250 to plow a long driveway last spring. I'm working on getting it ready for when the snow flys. My problem is that the plow won't angle. I think the valves are working. When I push the stick back and forth the hoses move like they are getting pressure. I don't think that the fittings are clogged. When I push on the balls in the quick connects ,fluid shoots out. The guy that had it before me replaced the angle cylinders (not the raising though) so they should be fine. I was told that maybe the packing nuts are too tight. I assume that those are the big nuts at the end of the cylinder (where the rod comes out.) I was also told that messing with those can cause problems. Anybody have any suggestions.

By the way,this is a great site.

Erik

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

hey there

sounds like the same problem i had . change your quick connects both male an female sides . i think that will solve your problem anymore problems let me know thanks george

3. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

controls

hi i have a set of old style fisher controls complete with the pump and valve body and some hoses if you are interested 100.00 bucks for the whole lot plus shipping of course...........

4. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Thanks for the offer, but all of that is working fine. I stopped by the local Fisher service shop and the only thing that they can think is that somebody left a "dust plug" or capin the fitting on the cylinder. Or sombody welded the plow when it broke the first time. I'm going tocheck both tomorrow when it's light :) DUH!

5. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Well, it was choice D "None of the above"

I took the fitting out of the cylinder and took the cylinder off the frame. Both cylinders are frozen. They won't open or close, no matter how hard I try. I dropped them off to confused Fisher serviceman. He said he would call when he has a chance to look at them. I'll keep you posted. :confused:

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Likely hte packing froze up. Sorry I did not get to this earlier. Loosen the packing nuts and move the cylinders, as they free up, tighten the nuts back down.

7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Thanks Flipper,
    My service guy said that hey might have some rust on the inside. He said with the new Low friction cylinders, they don't really have packing. He said it was a metal to metal fit. That sounds kinda screwy to me. If that's the case what seals the cylinder. Ah well. I guess he will either fix it or not. I just hope it doesn't cost much.

8. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I had the same problem with one of my old fisher plows.I adjusted the throw nuts on the splitter unit under the hood and it worked fine.Good luck.Pray for snow!!

9. Flipper

from CT

If it is not a minute mount then they are not low friction. The old cable systems used packing cylinders. I will bet they have clogged with rust. Another reason to flush the system once a year.

10. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

That's what I thought Flipper. My service guy said that the minute mount cylinders fit the old plows if they are the same size. I'm not sure if these are or not. I didn't replace them. The previous owner did. They are brand new last spring. I still think that the packing nuts are too tight, but we will see.

Thanks for the opinion folks.

11. Flipper

from CT

OK I did not know they were replaced. They could be the new cylinders. They do fit.

12. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Well, It was the packing. The Nuts were just too d*mn tight. It's working fine now. Now all I need do is keep the thing from overheating. HAH!!!!

Seems to be a theme on here