1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 Dodge 250 stalling problems......

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mirafiori1, Feb 21, 2005.

1. mirafiori1

mirafiori1 Junior Member
    from SE PA

This has been driving me crazy for over a year now. Have an 85 250 Sno Commander 318/auto that used to run great. Now, the truck hessitates big time under acceleration UNLESS you are really gentle on the pedal.....as soon as you try to accellerate harder it immediately begins to sputter and hessitate. It also happens when I angle or raise the plow. Again, when you angle or raise the plow, anything but the lightest touch on the gas, and the truck dies. Everyone was convinced it was a fuel delivery issue that was being caused by debris in the tank. Well, I dropped the tank, cleaned it (it's a plastic tank), put a new sending unit and all new lines all the way to the carb and it is still doing it. Also recently had the carb rebuilt. Any thoughts?? HELP!!
  2. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Is your truck a full hydraulic or an electric/hydraulic style? Full hydraulics will only have a single lift ram for the plow and what appears to be a second power steering pump on the engine to work the plow. The Electric/Hydraulic style will have an E-47, E-60 or E-57 Meyers pump/lift mounted on the front plow mount.

I would guess that you have an electrical/ignition problem.
    When you lift or angle the plow, you are putting additional load on the engine (either electrically or hydraulically).

How many miles are on the truck? I'm guessing one of the following is the problem:

1.) ECU (Electronic control module for the ignition) - possible internal electrical problem

2.) Distributor - couple of possibilityes here:
    a) electronic pickup going bad.
    b) worn bushings
    c) sticking advance weight/broken advance spring
    d) cap/rotor need replaced

3.) Coil - Possible that the coil isn't putting out enough spark under load

When was the truck tuned up last?
    How far from Harrisburg are ya? :D
  3. ght1098

ght1098 Member

My truck was giving me problems, running bad, stalling. Found a cracked battery clamp on the neg terminal, been running great scince,
    Good Luck, hope this helps