1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 chevy's

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Double C, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

Hi, I've got 2 1985 chevy 3/4t 4x4. Would these trucks make good plow trucks or should I look for something newer? And can they handle a v-plow? I'm mostly going to be plowing private subdivison and ranch roads in montana, About 10 miles of which 90% of are gravel roads and the other 10% might not be concidered roads with 4-5 ft drifts that can be anywhere from ten the one hundred + ft long. Both truck are reliable workhorses that i trust to be out in the middle of nowhere.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sure. A Vplow would be best.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

good strong work horses but a bigger heavy v blade on just a 3/4 ton front axle i am not sure. the axles run the same shafts and joints as 1/2 tons do. just bigger brake rotors by 1 " and 2 more studs.

if you are sure you want to run these i would stick to stright blade on them.

but if you want v blade go find 2 dana 60 1 ton fronts and bolt them in.

simple swap out. 3 ubolts swap over axles blead brakes and bolt on shocks/drag link same and drive shaft. drive shaft might need to be shortened a bit as the pumkin on the 60 is bigger and pinion yoke sticks back farther.

big finding a good bolt in 60 front is not that easy. unless you know were there is old millitary pickups sitting around. thay have them.:)

so in short stock 3/4 ton + vblade = not to good.
    stock 3/4 ton + stright = good match.

4. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

Not a professional just a farmer who has to help out sum neighors. Did this last year with a 1/2 ton and a meyer 71/2 ft straight blade, to much for truck to handle. the reason for 2 trucks is because last year got stuck about every 1/4 mile. looking for anything that might be helpful for next year. thanks

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What size and brand of vee plow did you have in mind?

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

V plow on a 3/4 ton will work just fine. I have 2 8'6" V Plows on 3/4 ton diesels with no real problems, sure it maybe harder on stuff but its a truck...

7. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

was thinking about the 7.5 Ultra Mount MVP Plus V-Plow

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then you'll have no problems as long as the truck/suspension isn't already worn out and is in decent shape. Many of the trucks of this era used the 3 leaf HD front spring packs. If this truck does, your good to go as is. Can always add an additional leaf if deemed necessary later. Don't forget ballast as well.

9. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TRUCKS FOR THE JOB NOW THE RIGHT V-BLADE IS YET TO BE DETERMINED ....... YOU SHOULD SEE IF SNOWAY HAS ONE GET IN TOUCH WITH TOBY4492 ON HERE HE CAN HELP YA GET GOIN IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION :drinkup:

P.S. LETS SEE SOME PICS OF THE BEAST

10. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

what makes the sno-way a better plow for these trucks?

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If its not abused with a v-plow that is too big or tires that are too tall the 10 bolt front axle will hold up fine. Remember these trucks are solid axle, not the wussy later independant setup. You will slip the tires long before you break an axleshaft. Also don't turn too sharp when loaded with snow... even the Dana 60 will break doing that (trust me..!)

I wouldn't be afraid to run an 8'-6" v-plow on one. The key is lots of rear ballast... posi/locker is an asset in the rear. The rear is the same heavy duty 14 bolt as the one tons run. Make it do all the work! It can take it all day long.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

This truck would actually have the 9.5 semi 14 bolt rather than the 10.5 FF. The 10.5's were phased out of the 3/4 tons in '81 in favor for the 9.5's. :waving:

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Whooops, right you are, forgot about that. Most of my 3/4 ton hardware was older.

Actually, I didn't realize that 9.5s were around in '81 already. Didn't realize it happened so early.

Still plenty strong though!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I was certain you knew Derek...just wanted to clarify for anyone else. :waving:

15. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

that depends on the factory ratings of the truck. a full floater is possible in a 3/4 ton truck all the way up as late as '92, possibly later.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Fixed your post...