1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 Chevy K-30 towing capacity

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by paul soccodato, Jun 27, 2003.

1. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

do anyone know what the maximum towing capacity of these trucks were?

thanks

Paul

2. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Junior Member

It varies, depending on the engine, gearing, and whether it is single or dual rear wheel.

3. trink2030

trink2030 Junior Member
    from md

Hey guys, I'm new to the thread and am dragging up this old post to save on doubling threads. It's a shame that the guys posting the question didn't respond back with his truck specs as this would have been good information. I feel I've searched thoroughly and can't find the answer to my towing question so I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I just aquired an 85 dually 3500 gmc with a 454, 4 speed granny transmission and either 4.11 or 4.56 gears. It has both a class 3 hitch assembly and a fifth wheel. I am wondering the towing capacity of the truck. Obviously the capacity of the class 3 is limited by the hitch capacity, but what about the fifth wheel? I don't have a brake control on the truck but plan to do so.

Thanks for any help you can provide me...

4. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

www.trailerlife.com offers comprehensive tow ratings guide for 1999 and newer vehicles:

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

Here is what they say about older vehicles:

There are probably other ways to get the ratings but this is the quickest way I know.

5. trink2030

trink2030 Junior Member
    from md

Thanks for the website, the site looks great

Does anyone have an 'free' advice if the specs aren't easy or free to come by?