1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 Chevy Dump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, Aug 5, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im looking at buying a 85 chevy dump. It has 75k original miles, its a 4 speed with creeper gear, 4x4 with high and low. Hyduralic pto dump bed.

Do you guys think this would be a decent all around truck for hauling mulch, topsil, sod, stones, etc. and then maybe plowing with it, although i prolly wouldnt plow with it.

and what could I expect to go wrong with it, being so old. It has New brakes, new lines, new parking brake cables. and he also replaced the rear springs with a new set a few years ago.

what would be a good price to pay for this? Im thinking 3k?

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have a 80 1 ton dump and a 76 2500 with flatbed and sander here is what i have replaced on them

81; so far
    valve covers and gaskets
    drain pan gasket
    tranny gasket
    front brakes and rotors
    new rear brake line
    fuel pump fuel lines
    radiator
    wiring
    starter before winter
    upper and lower rad hoses
    belts
    power steering gearbox soon(leaking) i hate leaks
    sparkplugs, wires, cap and rotor
    fuel filter
    76 k20;
    valve covers and gaskets
    sparkplugs, wires, cap, and rotor
    water pump
    battery
    belts
    front brakes and rotors
    exhaust
    starter twice

i also would never believe it hasn't broke 100,000miles it just wont show it

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You've mentioned in another posting that you are not mechanically inclined. These older trucks will always need constant attention, and as such you can't pay someone to do it all, and I'm sure your brother will get annoyed after a while constantly working on your stuff too!!

If you don't intend to plow with it, why get the 4wd? Just extra height which will require a larger tractor to reach for loading, weight up higher makes handling when loaded suck, etc. extra clearance issues when dumping ie: tree branches....

I was thinking of building a 2wd version of my truck for the same sort of work.... just lighter and easier to load.

Just my two cents...

ps: my fuel pump died today unexpectedly... just another joy of older equipment.... ;)

4. PremierLand

from detroit

the guy sold it 10min after i looked at it.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

depending on condition it was a great price- mine is an 86.

6. PremierLand

from detroit

he ended up selling it for 3500

7. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

imho thats high dollar for an 85 unless it was plow setup and super clean body in which i highly doubt its not rusted out sinc eits in the midwest here

id say around 2k tops

if evne that much

good luck

8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Price versus Rust/Rot

Up here if it is a good runner then the price goes up depending on how clean it is A real clean 4x4 one ton dump will sell up to $5,000 down to $500 for a rot box.These things rot like crazy,cab mounts floors,rockers if its been in salt chances are they are well on their way.
    I agree if you are not going to plow why have all the added headache of 4 wheel drive?Allot of moving parts sucking extra fuel if you dont need it.
    My 89 2wd with the 6.2 diesel and turbo 400 automatic get consistanly 16mpg.That is with a 12' dumping rack body.Not bad for a heavy truck.
    My ole 4x4 dually with a 400/400 auto 4x4 got 6-8 mpg.Fun truck but cannot imageine with $3.00 gas.

chevy.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005