1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 chevy cab and axles to a 75 frame

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jpaultpaul, Dec 7, 2008.

1. jpaultpaul

jpaultpaul Junior Member

what do i nned to know i am swapping a 85 chab front end and axles to a 75 frame, please let me know how hard this is .. wiring etc
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

fairly basic swap over.

sheetmetal swap of 81-up body will require you to use the 73-80 body mounts. and only thing to watch out for realy is 81-up had non bolt in center floor hump. so if using 2x4 cab 2 options 3" body lift or cut floor out and swap in with welder older floor hump.

then only real axle swap problem will be the brakes on the front . calipers were american thread on older. then newer 80's were metric. this is were the caliper is bolted to the hoses. if need be just swap hoses to older truck frame.

for tons of other good info on these go look over at www.ck5.com tons of 73-87 chevy info and real friendly site.

SKYNYRD Senior Member

my dad and i put an 85 cab on our 76 chassis years ago. we used the 76 nose but you have to remove the cowl piece and hood hinges from the 85. we also changed the cab wiring harness from the 85 to the 76 but i don't remember why. i wanna say the 85 was cut in too many places but i'm not sure.

we've done several cab swaps over the years. our most recent was putting a cab off of a 2wd 88 1 ton (the 88-91 full tons kept the 81-87 body style) onto what we believe to be an 81 3/4 ton 4wd chassis. i have some pics in my GMC photo album and many more i didn't put on here. any questions you have feel free to ask me directly and i'll help as best i can.