1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 Chevy 4x4 Drivetrain Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wadedrew, Apr 8, 2004.

1. wadedrew

wadedrew Junior Member
    from MT

I have an 85 Chevy 4x4 that vibrates going down the road. Looking things over I discovered that someone who had the truck before me replaced the the transmission from a TH700R4 to a TH350 with a 208 transfer case. There is one solid drive shaft from the transfer case to the rear differential. My question is could this be what is causing the vibration? As near as I can tell in Chilton's, the drive shaft is a two piece one with a hanger bearing.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Take the drive shaft out and lock it in 4 wheel and drive it. no viberation then you know what caused it

3. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Is it a longbed or shortbed,longbed should have the 2 piece shaft shortbed is 1 piece.

4. towman

towman Member

half ton trucks have one piece drive shafts with either a long or short bed, the two piece come into play with the 3 quarters and one tons

5. wadedrew

wadedrew Junior Member
    from MT

The 85 Chevy is a 1/2 ton with an eight foot box.

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Take the drive shaft out and lock it in 4 wheel and drive it. no viberation then you know what caused it

7. towman

towman Member

if you are going to try pulling the rear shaft and driving the truck make sure you have a cup to go over the output shaft at the rear of the transfer case, if not you will lose your fluid and cook the transfer

8. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I think you'll find that a 4x4 w/8 ft. bed does not have a two piece drive shaft. The 2 wheel w/8 ft. bed will have a two piece drive shaft. The transfer case takes up the difference. Not to say that you don't have a problem. You should be able to find a shop that can check to see if yours needs re-balanced or ? Good Luck..