1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 C20 Header recommendations ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by owen, Nov 21, 2003.

1. owen

owen Member
    from florida

My searching has left me more confused.

I finally got around to having the glass-packs removed and regular old quiet mufflers installed. Now i can hear the exhaust leaks at the manifolds. To no suprise, I have found both ex manifolds cracked and leaking air.

The exaust is custom from the manifolds back and in new condition. The muffler man suggested I remove the air/smog pump. I have the kind that spreads into 4 seperate pipes over each manifold. He thinks since I have no cat-conv that it is bad thing to pump the air in there. Do you guys agree with this?

I had a 302 ford with the manifold cracking problem. Putting headers on was a great fix. I would like do the same on this 454. Anyone have any suggestions on who makes a SHORTY style header that will bolt up to my engine and exhaust pipes (direct manifold replacement) without the air pump holes in them?
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Check out summit or Jegs. If they dont have it listed then give em a call, they probably have it. I have never had shorties, I always use fulllenght. Not much more to have your muff man do some hacking and bolt up a pair of full lenghts.

A couple of recomendations though. I bought some dynomax coated headers because they had a lifetime waranty. No other reason but I figured i didnt want to put new headers on after 4 years. and if I did they would foot the bill. I paid an extra 100$ for this....up to you if its worth the cost.

Have them put a bolt on flange at the end of the header so if you ever need to drop the exhaust it will be easy to do.

Use the dead soft aluminum gaskets or coppers for the collectors since the are reusable so if you drop your exhaust you can reuse em. Also use SS bolts with anti sieze on the colectors so they dont rust on you.

If the collectors leak you can smear some copper RTV on both sideds of the gasket an that should do the trick. I have known people to use copper RTV on the headder/head instead of a gasket and never have it blow out or burn off, its good stuff.

Tighten the header/head bolts after you get it heated up and it cools and you will probably have to recheck it constanly for a week or so till it settles down and then everytime you do an oil change or the like you might want to check em.

I have a set of full lenght hookers for a BBC into a 83 PU truck(1/2 ton) That may work that I would let go 35$ plus shipping
  3. monteredondo

monteredondo Junior Member

I have a similar question to anyone with a similar problem. i also have to replace my manifolds and am worried that if i put full length headers on that it will put out more emissions. Is it bad if i remove the the PAIR system. this is almost the same as the air system with the 4 small pipes coming out of the manifold. it just doesn't have the air pump.

here they have aircare like california. very annoying. does the PAIR cut down on emissions?
    this is a 350 1986 c20. It was originally sold without a catylitic converter.
    any ideas?
    would appreciate any help.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious,why do you HAVE to replace your manifold's?
  5. monteredondo

replace manifolds because.

Thanks for the feedback! To answer your question, i am putting in headers for a clean looking engine and that rumble noise. this is the first truck or vehicle i have ever worked on. i have been reading multitudes of books and manuels. there r always questions to ask. I love the look of my 86 c20 and have always loved trucks. this is my third one. i had a 92 gmc 1500. never should have sold it.
    i guess i just want a little power. I am not in the snowplow crowd but this site has alot of good discussions.

thanks alot
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I guess if your installing the header's to clean up the engine compartment then you want to get rid of the air tube's too.If you eliminate them I'm sure the truck will fail an emission's test. What are the test rule's in BC? Do they have any exemption rule's? Example: truck's older than a certain year or over a certain GVWR?
  7. monteredondo

headers in bc.

I was just looking at my digital pictures of my teardown and realized that i really have an AIR system instead of a PAIR system because it says AIR on the side of the air filter and they must have removed the air compressor because the pipe that goes there is blocked off.
    This is good because this truck was aircared (inspected) in the last year. They hold the vehicle to the requirements for emissions for the vehicle in 1986.
    They test the emissions at the tailpipe while it is running and warm. This 1986 camper special didn't even have a cataylitic converter in 86. maybe if i fail i will just throw 2 cats on.
    i am going to call a buddy of my brothers to pick his brain.
    any and all feedback is appreciated.