1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 3500 wheel locked up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JD_F250, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JD_F250

JD_F250 Junior Member
    from WI

Hey guys. not sure if this is the right place to ask, but... my friend has an 85 3500 SRW. He went to plow last night and one of his rear tires would not move when moving forward. In reverse it rotated fine. He thought it might be the rear diff but my thinking is that if it was the diff, both wheels would be affected. What do you guys think? Brakes maybe?

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

First guess would be broken axle. I suppose you could break something in the brakes that would bind and lock up the whel in one direction only, and a differential gear might do the same thing, but my money is on broken axle. Something that broke would have to be bound up inside to cause it to lock up. Otherwise it would freewheel in either direction.

3. damian

damian Senior Member

his caliper bracket bolt probably came out. have him check that first.these bolts are locktite from the factory almost nobody does it at a brake job. i find this problem a few times a year the caliper acts like a one way clutch inside the rim depending on which bolt fell out. let us know how you do.

4. Detroitdan

Considering that it's an 85 and it's a rear wheel, I'm going to have to rule out a caliper.

5. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Sounds like it could be a brake issue. Either a broken shoe retainer, or a star wheel adjuster fell down. It can turn the brake into a one-way clutch depending on if its the leading shoe or the trailing shoe that is moving around.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I agree with Mister plow, sound like brakes locking up.

7. JD_F250

JD_F250 Junior Member
    from WI

well we tore everything apart. its the brakes!

8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Glad to hear you have a easy fix do deal with, so what let go?

9. Detroitdan

I had a spring let go in my right rear brake once while plowing, didnt lock up or even slow me up, but it made a tremendously loud screeching sound only in reverse.

10. JD_F250

JD_F250 Junior Member
    from WI

It was some dowel that holds the shoe. Alls good now