1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

85 1-ton cube van max towing load

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pyro74, Mar 30, 2003.

1. pyro74

pyro74 Junior Member

Could an 85 G30 with a 225,000 beat up 350 pull a 7,000 lb truck on a 2,000lb trailer any great distance? Is this a really bad idea? Does anybody know the GCVW for this truck?
  2. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

I have the same truck at my place of work, only it is a 1995 model. It's equipped with the 350 V8 and 4L80-E auto trans. We use it to haul newspapers, and we also use it to deliver jobs to our commercial printing customers. It has a 14 foot Supreme box mounted on the back. The GVW rating of this truck is 10,000 lbs, and the truck weighs approx. 7,200 lbs with me sitting in it. To be totally honest with you, I don't believe i would attempt to pull that amount of weight with it. Our truck is pretty solid, but with the 350, it is a real slug both empty and loaded. It can't get out of it's own way. About a year ago, the boss and his church group took it to Myrtle Beach on a camping trip to haul their gear. Well on the way back the oil pump failed and they locked the engine up in it. Before this this engine had a leaky intake replaced, plus bad valve guide seals. The truck usually gets 8-9.5 mpg doing the work we use it for, which is hauling anywhere from 1,000-nearly 4,000 lbs at times. From the sound of it, your van sounds like just a regular cargo van, which would make it a lot lighter than our truck. If i were you, I would search for a solid 3/4 or 1 ton truck to do the job. If you do decide to try this...best of luck.