1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 Toyota X-Cab, Fisher Plow, Frame Rust

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by EPACF, Dec 21, 2004.

1. EPACF

EPACF Junior Member

I have an 84 toyota with a couple soft spots on the frame right side near the rear axle. It doesn't seem to be terribly weak, but it failed inspection because of it. It's a farm tagged truck, but does have to pass partial inspection- can't have any holes in the frame. Any ideas on how to fix, or cover it up, well enough for inspection?
    Jeff

2. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

you see the old one rust :cry: Inside the frame rails by the spring perches and by the gas tank are the most prone. I suggest dropping the tank and taking a hammer to find all the soft spots. Then clean up the areas(grind to fresh metal) then weld in some patches. I have had several Toyotas from that time period 84 85 86 and this is common and a common way of fixing them. The reason I say drop the tank and so forth is to make sure you get it all once so you wont have to repeat the process in 3 or 4 years due to unchecked spots.