1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 k20 diesel truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Pjw350, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

It's not a Uni-Mount plow it's the old cable style control model. It's not worth anything over $800-$1000 if it runs decent

3. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

yea 750 would be fair but no steal by any means

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey EX and KC,

You guys are mistaken! :gunsfiring:

You can't kill those Western cable operated plows...they are bullet proof and much more reliable than the electronic selenoid plows of today! Parts are easy to get and anyone can fix them in the field. wesport

That truck also has a straight front axle with leaf springs, no joke independant front suspension like today's wimpy stuff. I am not a fan of the 6.2 non-turbo GM Diesels, but 300,000 miles is not unheard of on these engines. My partner has an 86' Suburban with the 6.2 and he has over 340,000 milea on it and I have a 95' Suburban with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel and she has over 200,000 miles on her and still runs great. I bet your gas motor won't make the 200,000 mile mark!

And KC, you say $750 is all it's worth, how can you say that when you have to go out and spend $4400 to get a plow today? It might not be new but I am sure it can do anything a new truck could do. Body parts are cheap, for $1000 you can replace the doors, fenders and hood and give it some new paint and she won't be bad looking.

Go as high as $1500 and then put another $1000 into it to fix it up and for $2500 you will have a fine truck! payup

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

$$$

the plow is a good plow.it's worth more than that old 6.5 or 350 olds diesel witch ever it is .

6. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

Thats a very positive post. All this truck is for is a truck to ride around with around our camp in the UP. We have 95+ acres with alot of trails to be built. The driveway is 1.25 miles long. We have a 86 3/4 ton suburban with a plow and a 79 beater ford truck. This truck will probably not be driven on the road but as an extra plwo truck and a truck to haul firewood around with.

7. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

true for a back up truck . i guess it would be ok . here in kc we are gettn away from beaters our plow routes for pick ups require some driving time .

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Pjw,

I run a small fleet of these trucks and they just don't die! I look at the "total cost to be roadworthy" of a truck like this one to be about $2000-$2500 by the time you are through with it. In realuty, what does $2500 buy you...not much! So I figure theses trucks are true bargains. I just purchased my first 1990 GMC 2500 3/4ton last month and I am in the process of getting it road worthy. I will have $2500 into it when I am done, but in my opinion it is not as Heavy Duty as te earlier models. It has the front independent suspension instead of a straight axle, no leaf springs, just seems a bit wimpy. I went to the plow suply store today to get a few parts and saw all the bright new shiny trucks getting new plows installed and all I could think of is that these older trucks are a much overlooked resource! You might call them "Diamonds in the rough!"

:drinkup:

9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

6.2 not so bad...

I had a 6.2HD and a turbo 400 in a 89 3500 and it was a good motor.I got 14-15 mpg with a 7,700lb truck....It wasnt going to break any records but all in all was a good motor....