1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 k10 front drive shaft

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lvfd50, Dec 26, 2008.

1. lvfd50

lvfd50 Junior Member
    from WNY

The other day I was out plowing and noticed a funny noise from my four wheel drive. When I got home I noticed that the 4x4 wasn't really working and I would only hear some occasional grinding noise. I jacked up the front, had the hubs locked and spun the wheels. The front shaft seemed to spin. Then I crawled under the truck with the 4x4 locked in and the transfer case seemed to lock in, but I notced that I could spin one end of the front drive shafy and keep the other from spinning. I assume this is where my problem is. Before I start pulling this out I was wondering if the splines are shot or could somthing simpler just have come undone or broke. I have never had to pull this shaft out. Thanks in advance.
  2. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Those are some beefy splines in a driveshaft slip joint and I've never seen a stripped out slip joint. I've seen plenty of twisted driveshaft tubes, broken u-joints and double cardan joints but never a stripped splined slip joint.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen but the chances of stripped splines on a driveshaft are very slim. Go ahead and drop one end of the shaft and pull it apart- see what you find.
  3. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

About 7 years ago my father-in-law stripped the splines on the front drive shaft of his late '80's suburban. Do you ever gease your slip joint? With out lube it is just metal rubbing on metal.
  4. lvfd50

lvfd50 Junior Member
    from WNY

well I pulled it out and had another one handy so I switched them and it seems to work good. I haven't pulled the first one apart, but it definitely slips. I don't remember if I greased the slip joint this year. I think I may have forgotten it. I know in the past I have, but I was in a bit of a rush this year. I'll have to leave an update if I get a chance to pull the bad one apart. Oh well you live you learn. I'm just glad I had a spare one laying around. I was also wondering if anyone had any tricks to make sure everything is working now that it has warmed up and most of the snow is gone. I checked that the transfer case locked in and turned the shaft. I also made sure the hubs were working, but this was all up in the air and not actually driving the truck. All seems good, but it would be nice to be more confident and really know before the next snow storm. Again thanks for all the help.
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

comon problem in older twin ibeam ford pass side 2 peice shafts and lots of front prop shafts. if lack of grease and wear and tear happens thay go south quickly.

i have local drive line shop in town. he builds lots of prop shafts for 88-up gm ifs trucks. as thay dont move mutch at all factory. then no grease fitting and then use in winter all adds up to BANG new shaft.

guy i know use to run a 358 modifyed flat track dirt motor in his 1ton mud truck. 1/2 the time it was front gear spun or front prop shaft slip splines gone.

it happens and only seems to be in certian areas on the us.