1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 K-5

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 85w/350, Jun 29, 2001.

1. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

I have been looking and looking for a deal on a k-5 blazer to add to the family. Family = 85GMC and 82 chevy trucks. Today i came across one in a backroads little town about a fourty five minute drive from a bigger city..it looked like a nice one with a newer paint job (turns out its only a year old) and looks great from the outside. On the for sale sign it was listed for 4000 which came across me as just alright for pricing on an 84 in this condition. I talked to the owner and he told me to just make an offer. I really didnt get deep into inspection but he claims its a newer 350 w/300 hp and he must not be a chevy goo-roo cuz he didnt know the type of transfer case just told me it was chain driven would this be the np205? anyway i am wondering about any fears i should have in buying my first 4x4 much less used. I know my older chevy's pretty well and i plan on inspecting this one much more before even offering a price. Any thoughts? And is the np205 a full time case? I didnt even look enough too see it it was manual locking hubs or what not just looked at the outside and peaked in for a few seconds. by the way what can i expect in gas mileage from this beast without any lift or anything? 8-9mpg?

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, it's an 84. It has an NP 208, chain driven transfer case. Nothing wrong with it. They used the 208 in 3/4 ton trucks as well. The older fulltime NP 203 is stronger, and the NP 205 is even stronger than the 203.

As far as what to look for? Check the front axle U joints, and the driveshaft U joints for play. Check the slip yolk on the front drive shaft. Grab the shaft, and try to wiggle it from side to side. If it slops all around, it will need to be rebuilt. IF the front axle U joints are worn, plan on replacing them, and the front brakes as long as you have the hubs and rotors off. On that note, see if it has automatic locking hubs on it still. They came on it from the factory, but they are not reliable. If it has them, plan on putting on new manual locking hubs.

As far as gas mileage, figure between 9 and 13 city, and as much as 17 on long highway trips, depending on the axle ratio, and where you are going. If you live in a hilly area, then you can expect about 12 on average.

~Chuck

3. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

sounds good. I am making a checklist so i can really look at this vehicle before buying. I know a 4x4 is no race car so i want to make sure he hasnt been really riding the 350 on it. I also want to check on the steering bracket on the fame that can crack the frame. Plan on inspectng the underside for any signs that it has been out mudding and left to rust. This is my first 4x4 so I might be getting in a little deeper than I think but in the long run i think it will be worth it. By the way its pretty flat around here. By the way does a 4x4 have any more towing power over a regular fullsize truck not counting the axle gearing? I plan on towing boats/trailers with it at times

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Besides being not god on gas they are known for being rot pigs check the rear tail gate and under the rear passenger seats.My brotherin law got and '88 and he had to do all kinds of work to just so the floor would not cave in.If they used it to plow snow this very well could be the case because this did have a plow on it at one time.But I too am a fan of these style blazers and not the newwer ones.

5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

if you have a friend that is a mechanic, take it to him... Put it on the lift, look underneath real good open the the rear tailgate, check all the fluids, check the steering box where it connects top the chassis.

I just bought a 1990 K5 with 45,000 miles in almost Mint condition I am the third owner, the first owner traded it in with 12,000 miles, the second owner (a guy I work with) put the rest of the miles on and kept this vehicle CLEAN!!!!

I paid $7,500 for it. It might be a bit High priced but it is a clean well kept truck

6. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

JCurtis:
    7500.00 is a kinda high price but can be worth it to the owner. Especially Blazers down here in the south can sell for as much as 10,000 if they are well kept. Granted i'd never pay that much for one but some rich kids have mud monster dreams that daddy can buy. I am going to sell my 85GMC to get this truck and my GMC will probably sell for 4500.00 just a 2wd w/350 35,000miles (second engine) but the paint is still good and it looks and is clean...no rust...my daily driver for the past yr and a half. i bought it with 4,000miles on the second engine from a friend of the family i am the fourth owner. A rust bucket worktruck 80-85 chevy sells for about 2500.00 here. I'm going to try and offer that guy about 2000 for his truck in hopes of having 2500 extra to spend on it after i aquire it, fix the brakes and any other work that needs to be done...

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Full size (K5) Blazer owners, might want to check out Colorado K5. It's a website that focuses on the trucks.

www.coloradok5.com

~Chuck

8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Good Luck, I hope you get it for $2,000

If you saw my truck, you would know why I was willing to go that high.
    Maybe i will get a digital cam and post a few pics.

I am thinking of painting my 86 K10 to match the Blue and white of the Blazer.

9. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

whats a good truck like that get for mileage? not to be embarassed my 2wd gets 10 city

10. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Lookign better on the gas mileage side I went back and looked at the truck today...oh la la a standard but I have no idea what standard trannys came on these trucks..the shifter reads L-1-2-3 any good? Also i think the T-case shifter said 4-H 4-L N 2-H...on the otehr hand time to use more caution in buying it who knows how the previous owner liked to drive his standard....looks like a sm465...any comments on those?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2001
  11. roorda

roorda Junior Member

Those transmisions are as tough as nails, make sure it is relativly quite, and shifts smoothly and you should be OK. You may want to make sure the clutch linkages are not all worn out as I think in 1984 they still used a mechanical linkage setup. They also only offered one transfer case in the 10-25 seiries trucks ect, and it was a part time unit with manual locking hubs that is relativly trouble free as long as it is kept full of clean ATF.Good luck

Josh

12. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

troublesome hub

The driver's side hub is slinging grease he said that it only needs a new o-ring on the hub....true? or something more behind this? Also how difficult is it to adjust t-case linkage

13. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Is it an automatic or manual hub? If it's the original automatic, just swqp it. A nice set of all metal warn premium hubs shouldn't cost more than about 100 bucks. Could just be an o-ring, but could be a bigger problem. If you're really going through the truck with a fine tooth comb, maybe pull the hub (5 min job) and check to make sure the short shaft (from the knuckle to the hub) is in good shape. If he grenaded a hub, it could be chewed. Good luck. Sounds like a solid buy.

14. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

I got the truck!!

Yep so now there is three...three Gm's in my yard that is...my 85 GMC c-10, 82 chevy c-10 and now the 84 K-5....I managed to talk the guy down to 2800!! (from 4000) So you could say I got a steal!! Its a 84 k-5 / 350 / np208 / 4 speed manual(w/granny low)...things i've noticed that bother me...its a manual clutch not hydrolic...i constantly hear like a spinning noise beneath anytime i have the clutch slightyly depressed...is this normal...next thing is that he had told me that the t-case needs adjustment...it wants to jump out of 2-H is this an easy fix? ( I haven't resourced my Chilton's manual yet) Other than that really it runs fine and i'm happy with my new truck...pulls a trailer great! oh yeah and they are manual locking hubs

Last edited: Jul 8, 2001
  15. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Sweetness! New rigs are a lot of fun. You're going to have to change your signiture that apears at the end of your posts now to include the new addition to the family. As for the clutch noise, I had a mechanical linkage on my old diesel, and it always made that noise. I had the transmission replaced and the guy there thought it was either out of adjustment, or the throwout bearing. Makes sense I guess. I'd check the adjustment first :) Not sure about the T-case, good luck.

MT

16. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

road trip proves worthiness

Well during a early morning start in my 85 GMC towing a skiboat 3 1/2 hrs(interstate) to a lake, a gasket or something on the underside blew and oil was seaping out and hitting something hot because it was pouring white smoke from beneath.....7miles from home i turned right around, I was disappointed and not sure i could make the trip anymore. Well I bought the k-5 Friday....I drove it all saturday as it was from the time I bought it...and i planned on leavign it be all day sunday and start the resto work monday. Well I decided to give the k-5 a shot and it ran and ran great!! Pulling a heavy ski boat (20ft trailer, 17ft boat, 140hp) I got around 13mpg and it ran flawless. Keep in mind I hadn't driven the truck before i bought it and when i bought it i just slapped new tires on and jumped in, of course checked the fluids. Didn't even jump above 200 even with the load, going 70mph....It ran flawless for the 3 1/2hrs there and 3 1/2 back home...gotta love them small blocks...needless to say she has found a home